need advice - damage

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: need advice - damage

Post by captainmaniac »

Big D wrote:
georgepet wrote:.....gobsmacked at the first price quotes I received......
Doesn't surprise me, it will be labour intensive to get it to a point where you won't be able to tell the damage was ever there. I'm sure you can find someone that will claim to do it for a fraction of the cost but will they deliver the same end result or cut corners and leave a noticable patch that will stick out like a sore thumb.
If you decide to go the 'full repaint' direction, the glass repair costs should be the same regardless of paint solution you go for. It's gotta be clean and flush. As far as paint jobs go, an Awlgrip or Imron job will be super expensive as Big D says... but it will last forever. Some people have had good results with an Interlux Brightside finish using the roll and top method. Way cheaper as it is a basic prep and paint, but Brightside does not have the abrasion resistance that Awlgrip or Imron have.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

ready123 wrote:His F32 is same year as mine. I believe the change to your layout was in the '80's after that F32 sank in heavy seas on Lake Michigan.
I would like to see what his midship vents look like.... are they above the gunnel like yours?
George's vents (aside from colour) pretty much match mine in terms of placement and direction... forward vents aim forward to bring in fresh air, aft vents face aft to vent fumes (and not suck them back into the bilge).
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

captainmaniac wrote:
ready123 wrote:His F32 is same year as mine. I believe the change to your layout was in the '80's after that F32 sank in heavy seas on Lake Michigan.
I would like to see what his midship vents look like.... are they above the gunnel like yours?
George's vents (aside from colour) pretty much match mine in terms of placement and direction... forward vents aim forward to bring in fresh air, aft vents face aft to vent fumes (and not suck them back into the bilge).
Are yours in the same position as mine? Fwd not above deck? Year? If so I wonder if PO reversed direction?
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

In many cases the forward vents will face aft . The F32 with the vents in the hull is one of these cases . ( same with the F 36 )
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
adrewoh

Post by adrewoh »

gitchisum wrote:+1 for getting pro to give you a quote. Like Paul said, great excuse for a new hull color. ( I get envious of LandV36 and DavidLofland hull colors)

Vent location /design is dependent on model year. Pic below is 88' I am thinking about replacing with Stainless vents. Not sure if they would be too noticeable and gaaudy though?
vents.JPG
My F31 had stainless vents & I really liked them. I'm putting them on the F36 when I uncover
Nancy
Moderate User

Post by Nancy »

georgepet wrote:I have asked a pro to come, some time ago, he just hasn't made it there yet, maybe I need to ask "another" pro.....
George,

Ouch, that is ugly. Is the boat still on the NY side? I don't know anything about fiberglass guys over there. We have a great shop in Malletts Bay, but you'd need to get the boat over here and get on the schedule early as they get bogged down. Let me know if you'd like contact info.

Nancy
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

IMO - If you have hull insurance, call your carrier and let them handle it. There should be no up-rate of your premium for a 'not at fault' loss and your deductible will be less than the hassle-factor of getting it repaired yourself.
If you do not have hull insurance, your images indicate the damage is cosmetic and not structural (through the gelcoat to fiberglass, but not severe enough to affect hull integrity). If you don't want to tackle the repair yourself, get multiple quotes, because you'll likely get a wide spectrum of prices. I would also consider an autobody repair guy for this type of cosmetic repair. They do this stuff all day every day and typically much cheaper then a marina.
Good luck!
1977 F-32 INSTANT FUN "Just Add Water"
My Forever boat - O/O 30 years and counting
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
TC
Sporadic User

Post by TC »

My '89 vents also match George's.
1989 F-32
Penetang,
Georgian Bay