How to remove bilge magnets.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bjanakos
Moderate User

How to remove bilge magnets.

Post by bjanakos »

This F-32 is my 3rd boat after owning 2 Slickcrafts previously. I thought this was only a Slickcraft feature, but my F-32 seems to have bilge magnets as well.

The problem with these magnets is that if I am working on something, and I happen to have a hatch open, and I happen to drop a tool, part, pencil, nut, or bolt, the bilge magnets pull the item straight down into the abyss and often in a spot where the best of contortionists would face a challenge retrieving. These magnets are so strong that they attract non-ferrous items like bronze, stainless, and even plastic and wood! I would really like some ideas on how to remove, or at least deactivate this device.

Another feature that seems to be included on all of my boats is the magic portal to another dimension... The bilge magnets suck the item down into the bilge, and if it hits the portal, it disappears to another dimension never to be seen again. I am curious if anyone knows if it's the same portal that's installed in clothes dryers that eats socks.
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Re: How to remove bilge magnets.

Post by Stripermann2 »

Those dropped items are called, Ballast! lol :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

Instant Fun has bilge magnets! I didn't know what they were called until your post. Thank you!
1977 F-32 INSTANT FUN "Just Add Water"
My Forever boat - O/O 30 years and counting
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

Sorry David........You don't have a high enough security clearance for me to tell you where the switch is to reverse the polarity or turn them off! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The reverse polarity is a very nice feature if you ever get to use it! (doubtful) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

damned funny !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
TC
Sporadic User

Post by TC »

You will find that manual on the top shelf of your library right beside the one marked "Safe Place". You know the "Safe Place". That's where all the stuff you cannot find goes. I must have put that in a safe place.
1989 F-32
Penetang,
Georgian Bay
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

TC wrote:You will find that manual on the top shelf of your library right beside the one marked "Safe Place". You know the "Safe Place". That's where all the stuff you cannot find goes. I must have put that in a safe place.
i thought that was 'on order'. you know, that mysterious place in the middle of the pacific that is accessed once a year by a canoe rowed by pygmies.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

bjanakos wrote:This F-32 is my 3rd boat after owning 2 Slickcrafts previously. I thought this was only a Slickcraft feature, but my F-32 seems to have bilge magnets as well.

The problem with these magnets is that if I am working on something, and I happen to have a hatch open, and I happen to drop a tool, part, pencil, nut, or bolt, the bilge magnets pull the item straight down into the abyss and often in a spot where the best of contortionists would face a challenge retrieving. These magnets are so strong that they attract non-ferrous items like bronze, stainless, and even plastic and wood! I would really like some ideas on how to remove, or at least deactivate this device.

Another feature that seems to be included on all of my boats is the magic portal to another dimension... The bilge magnets suck the item down into the bilge, and if it hits the portal, it disappears to another dimension never to be seen again. I am curious if anyone knows if it's the same portal that's installed in clothes dryers that eats socks.
You had me until I got to the part about the non-ferrous and plastic, This boat world is all new to me, and I was thinking that would be handy if all your lost metallic items ended up in one place, but I do see the humor now :)
BTW I do put magnets in the oil pans of engines I build for myself, they pick up and hold metal particles and keep them from recirculating through the engine...obviously.
LOL
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

We all have them. They were mandated by the government so as to help the economy through item replacement. Tools are built so good now you can't wear them out so this helps. I think they are also mounted underwater at the dock because if you drop something anywhere on the dock wham over the side. LOL
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink