F32 Exhaust Tips

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

TC
Sporadic User

F32 Exhaust Tips

Post by TC »

I am wanting to make screens or guards for the exhaust on the boat. We have had a few issues with muskrats in the marina these past two seasons. They made a home inside someone's covered dinghy. What a smelly mess that was! And this year got real close to home by crawling inside both exhausts of a Sea Ray three slips away. You should have seen the crap, mud and shells that came out when he started up the engines.
I have a feeling there isn't much of an outside shoulder on the tips but I have never paid attention . So if someone has a close up picture of an exhaust tip that may save me a two and a half hour drive ( one way ) to get one. Michael, I'm counting on you on this one. You've got a library of pics.
1989 F-32
Penetang,
Georgian Bay
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Re: F32 Exhaust Tips

Post by mikeandanne »

Heh there TC how are ya....come on over to the other side of the bay where we live in harmony with the critters,,lol......google this hurley marine/muskrat otter guards....nice design....I was going to do something this spring regarding this and put an extension on...there is a very narrow lip if I remember right, but don't quote me on any sizes, I hope all are well...Mike
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Mine just has simple screen made using small wire tack welded into a cross pattern # say 1" squares. Held on at sides by two screws.

This is a large photo so am showing link, it is hard to see unless you magnify it.
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/95/26839 ... f35a_o.jpg
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
TC
Sporadic User

Post by TC »

Good Morning Gentlemen.
Mike / Michael: Yes, I live in harmony as well, I pay my marina bills and don't complain about what does or doesn't happen ( unless it's really bad ).
I have looked at that Hurley design and like it, but if I understand it properly and the bolt heads are on the inside of the inner ring, short of cutting the heads off and welding them back on, how do they thread them in?
I have some screen with 1/2" square holes that I feel will work and if the shoulder protruding from the flange surface were 3/4" wide a simple gear clamp would do the trick. Michael, as best I can see in your picture your tips appear to go straight out whereas mine have a small eyebrow or hood along the top half of the circumference creating somewhat of a small deflection of exhaust downward. And if I remember correctly around the bottom edge there is almost no material protruding from the flange.
Well I may just have to convince my wife that it's a nice day for a drive and go to the boat and rub her belly. The boat's belly.
1989 F-32
Penetang,
Georgian Bay
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

Here's a couple of images. One tip was broken off before i got the boat. I added the 90 degree elbows to get the exhaust out from under the swim deck, for less 'station wagon effect'. It works. I seem to remember cutting off the upper clam shell lip before installing the 90's.
Attachments
exhaust tips.jpg
exhaust tips.jpg (17.2 KiB) Viewed 3562 times
exhaust tips (4).jpg
exhaust tips (4).jpg (71.14 KiB) Viewed 3562 times
exhaust tips (3).jpg
exhaust tips (3).jpg (15.85 KiB) Viewed 3562 times
1977 F-32 INSTANT FUN "Just Add Water"
My Forever boat - O/O 30 years and counting
Yanmar 6BY3-260's