Crusader metal fuel line replacement.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

yorklyn
Active User

Crusader metal fuel line replacement.

Post by yorklyn »

Has anyone replaced the original steel fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb on a model 350/ 454? I'm in the process of installing edelbrock 1410 carbs and am trying to figure out the best way to run the fuel lines as the original ones are not a direct fit.
from doing a bit of research online it appears the originals are prone to rust and failure over time. I am a bit Leary of running rubber lines from the fuel pump directly to the carb because of the limited places to secure the line as well as the proximity of the line to the hot engine.

I was thinking about trying to find replacement steel lines to go from the pump, up the side of the engine and across the intake. I could then attach a barb and switch to flex line to make the attachment to the new carb. this would also make it easier to ad a additional in line fuel filter.

has anyone come up with something safe that works?

Also, is there a need for a rubber insulating carburetor gasket when using the original plastic wedge plate or will a regular gasket be sufficient? the original had a thick rubber gasket.
Thanks
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
bjanakos
Moderate User

Re: Crusader metal fuel line replacement.

Post by bjanakos »

You just go to the auto store and buy some steel fuel line and bend it yourself. Take the old one with you so they can match up the length and fittings.

Of course you will need a tube bender...

You may have to buy a straight length of tube and fittings separately and use a flare tool to flare the ends.

Both of these tools are probably available for free rental at any of the major auto parts stores; probably your most cost effective option.
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

agreed, buy some brake line and grab a bender, not a bad job, heating with torches helps prevent kinking, then respray it with some paint
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

The standard now is steel lines. Hoses in that location will be a red flag on a survey which the insurance company will likely make you correct later. If you feel the need for an in-line filter, it must be the threaded type. No rubber, clamps, etc. should be used for this line. I once thought that this may be a good application for braided stainless steel line until it showed up in someone's survey that one can't tell the type of rubber being used under the braid unless it is specifically labeled properly. The lines had to be removed!
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks guys! I was not aware of the rubber line being an insurance issue ? I personally like the idea of using steel lines again. It looks like im going to need to refine my bending skills if I need to get all the way from the pump to the carb in a orderly fashion! Edelbrock recommends a inline fuel filter be installed just before the carb since their carbs do not have an internal filter like the old qjets.
After reading post from other sites this swap to edelbrock from qjet seemed simple, new rubber fuel line, in line filter and a few hose clamps! it never ceases to amaze me how the difficulty of a so called "simple" project increases exponentially when it is done correctly! You would think Id know better by now! LOL!
Hopefully I can find a way to thread the filter directly to the carb and run my new line to the filter.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

A tube bending trick I learned while making a copper coil with many loops from 1/4 tube. Fill it with baking soda, or salt or the best pouring is glass bead for sand blasting. Fill the tube and tape the ends closed. You can make very sharp bends with the tool pictured above and the tube won't collapse.
You can then pour out the powder and rinse in water....good to go!
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I have the same bender noted above but like working more with the spring type benders. I find them easier to work with. Used them all the time in refrigedration.
http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-Ins ... B00004T827
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

It might call for a double flare which takes a similar flare tool but with the mandrels for doubling the flare. Fairly easy to do and more secure.IMO
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

I have an old Land Rover and when I did the brake lines I could not get them right.... Then I read up on it and it uses a "British" flare which is kind of like a flattened out bubble flare.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

the new steel brake lines - NAPA are reasonably KINK FREE if you use a bender.

Why bother with a flaring tool when you can buy a ready made line?

K.I.S.S.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

RWS wrote:Why bother with a flaring tool when you can buy a ready made line?
That was my suggestion if he couldn't find the ready-made lines first.
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks Guys,
The old line was a single flare. I cant purchase a pre made one because the edelbrock carb was not an option on my engine. If I used the old qjets that would have been an option. I already have a flaring tool, just need a tubing bender!
Is steel brake line ok to use for fuel line or is there a better option?
Now I need to find a filter that will work properly.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

It should be a double flare
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

If you decide to go the filled-tube route, try the following:

Fold-over one end of the tube so that it will hold in the filler material.
Pour in some of your filler.
Pack it in tightly with a rod.
Fill some more, and pack some more until full.
Fold-over the other end and have at it.
I prefer to use something water soluble as filler, usually sugar.

I have also had good results with the external spring-type tubing bender, which doesn't require extra tubing length for sealing-in the filler material. Of course a good lever-type tubing bender will likely yield the coolest looking installation. The one in the picture looks to be a decent model, sporting a proper radius on the fixed and stationary jaws.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

IT’S THE LAW - USCG:
183.538 Metallic fuel line materials.
Each metallic fuel line connecting the fuel tank with the fuel inlet connection on the
engine must:
(a) be made of seamless annealed copper, nickel copper, or copper nickel; and
(b) except for corrugated flexible fuel line, have a minimum wall thickness of 0.029
inches.
If metal is used for any portion of the fuel line (except for fittings) from the tank connection to
the engine connection (usually at the fuel pump), the metallic fuel line portions must be seamless,
annealed:
(1) Copper;
(2) Nickel copper (Monel); or
(3) Copper-nickel.
No other metals are permitted.
Also, the thickness of the tubing wall must be at least 0.029 inches unless the fuel line portion is
a corrugated or accordion type of flexible fuel line. Tubing is available with thinner wall
thicknesses, but they SHALL NOT be used.
Metal fuel lines used on the engine, i.e. the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor, may be
made of materials other than those listed. This line is usually supplied with the engine
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea