Hynautic Steering question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

yorklyn
Active User

Re: Hynautic Steering question

Post by yorklyn »

I did mine. The hardest part was actually removing the unit from the boat. I wasn't very difficult to replace the seals. There's a lot of small parts but if you do it at a clean bench and take your time its not real hard. I would also recommend disconnecting the reservalve at the same time. Inspect the o ring that's on the fill plug (where the air stem is). When you have the helm and reservalve off have someone insert each of the lines in a empty bottle and blow the line out with compressed air from the other end. Its the ideal time to put clean fluid in to make sure there's no debris in the old oil that could damage your new seals.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
TC
Sporadic User

Post by TC »

Rebuilding the helm unit is not difficult. Clean the bench ( table in the galley ) Lay everything out in an orderly manner and pay attention where everything goes. And once again I agree with Prowlersfish, I used less than a liter of oil. Fill the reservor to the proper level and pump the pressure to about 15 pounds and, if memory services me right, it was 16 turns one way with one bleeder out of the ram. Top up as necessary. Then 16 turns the other way with the other bleeder out. That seemed to me to be enough oil to purge all the lines out.
1989 F-32
Penetang,
Georgian Bay
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

well,,,,,,,,,, here is some more info on my system, seems I may have jumped the gun calling it Hynautic,, I started cleaning my bilge yesterday and noticed the ram and the lines for the system at the stern, I see the distribution block, but see not reservoir or air fittings etc, like the other Hynautic system I used, are there different systems on Trojans? I dont see anywhere where you would add fluid or is this my imagination? the only place is the fluid fittings at each helm. seems like a completely closed system,
I did not remove the leaking helm unit yet, Its pretty easy to get out, so thats next on my to do list .
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Can you post a photo of the helm ? Trojan did use more then 1 system and yours also may not be what came on the boat .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

will do as soon as I get out to my dock and take some pics, once I remove the helm
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

I finally got out and removed the leaking helm unit,
turns out its a Teleflex unit. The leak apparently is coming from a small crack (quarter inch) in the plastic housing. I guess its worth a try to repair it. I will drill a couple of relief holes in the plastic housing where the crack is to stop the spreading of the crack, seems someone tryed to drive a screw or something into it at some point. There is no pressure in this portion of the helm unit , and it appears to just hold the fluid as a reservoir. Im not a big fan of repairing things with JB weld,(they make a marine version which is solvent resistant) but as I mentioned it may be worth a shot in this situation as the leak was slight and there is no pressure in this portion . will update after repair .
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

Last edited by Dante D on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

happy to say that the JB weld repair works like a charm,
no leaks anywhere. Prep is key, you really have to de oil this thing and prep the plastic well. What I did was cut a groove into the crack and drill "relief" holes at the end of the crack to prevent traveling of the crack . I also saturated a porous piece of cloth with the JB weld mixture and used it as kind of a patch. Whats important as well is to allow the stuff to cure properly before putting it into service. As I mentioned repairing with JB weld is a last alternative and should only be done on systems that dont create a risk , or would cause a failure that would leave you stranded. The proper way to repair anything is to replace when possible. Im keeping my eyes open for a new helm unit. but for now this is perfect. Seems these units work independent of each other, if one fails the other will still work. This is a Teleflex SEA STAR unit

LOOKS LIKE THIS ONE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SeaStar-Telefle ... 2e&vxp=mtr