The Next Trojan

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

JimK

The Next Trojan

Post by JimK »

I am not sure if this belongs on this forum or on pontifications, but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are around what current day boat manufacturer might hold a similar spot in the future that Trojan holds today. In other words, if we fast forward to say 2040 or 2050, what boat brand that is in production today will have as many boats on the water as there are Trojan's now along with a loyal following?

Thanks,
Jim
BarryL
Sporadic User

Re: The Next Trojan

Post by BarryL »

I can't think of a brand built today that has the classic lines, the hull build quality, or the durability of Trojan boats. Sure Sea Ray has sold a ton of boats but you always hear about stringer issues on boats that are relatively young in age. Perhaps Tiara might have a following but Tiara owners don't hold on to them that long. My guess is that Trojan will be the brand we all remember.

Barry
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Good question , I can't come up with a good answer but am giving it some thought
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

I just wish some rich guy would recreate the molds and reproduce brand new F32's. It would save me a lot of work.
1977 F-32 INSTANT FUN "Just Add Water"
My Forever boat - O/O 30 years and counting
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Tiara will certainly hold a spot in the future much like it's predecessor Slickcraft does today. Honestly, and please don't persecute me, but I don't think Trojan can hold a candle to Slickcraft (pre-AMF) and Tiara's early designs and hull construction.

Grady and Whaler have always had a cult-like following.

Viking is another quality brand and their boat should still be running after decades.

As stated, first-time owners do not hold on to their boats very long... But's that's only because they can afford the lastest and greatest thing every few years... Most of them are probably business write-offs. But you look ad 2nd and 3rd ownership and that is where the brand loyalty comes in.

Viking probably hasn't produced as many boats to be seen in years to come like Trojan does today, but there are plenty of 80s-90s Tiara 3100 and 3600 in every marina.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Many think Tiaras and Internationals were comparable boats in Quality . I agree . Slickcraft ? Some where well built others not so depending on the company owner of the week , Better I would not agree as some were very well made , others sub Bayliner. I have owned a slick craft and fished 2 friends Tiara and almost bought one .

Viking ? Far better as a well run Family company not one that's been bought and sold . Quality has been the first thought and you pay for it .

"but there are plenty of 80s-90s Tiara 3100 and 3600 in every marina." I got to laugh on this No tiaras in our marina , but 5 Trojans :D and 2 Vikings :D I sure this varies from marina to marina . Just like we have no topaz boats but a much smaller marina a few miles away has 5 . But we do have a S2 sail boat LOL

And don't tell RWS But I believe the Internationals were better built then the F boats :oops: , even though I think the classic lines of the F boats look better :P
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rmatt

Post by rmatt »

Hatteras
Bob
1986 Hatteras 36 Sedan
Cat 3208T

1978 Trojan F32
Chrysler 360
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

prowlersfish wrote:Many think Tiaras and Internationals were comparable boats in Quality . . . .<SNIP>

And don't tell RWS But I believe the Internationals were better built then the F boats :oops: , even though I think the classic lines of the F boats look better :P
=========================================================================================================

In that era, ten years made a big difference in the design, engineering and technology in the boat building industry.

On top of that, the International series represented a complete and total departure from the F series production line in Lancaster, and was actually a different animal (at the time) for the industry.

As far as this exercise is concerned as it relates to CURRENT PRODUCTION boats, I would consider the recent or current Tiara or Formula models, which would be my first choice to justify a good vetting assuming money was no object and I wanted to move up.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

I really wanted a Tiara. When we purchased our trojan I was really pushing for a similar size Tiara. We ended up with our 10 meter mid cabin because it gave us the extra room/sleeping space in the mid cabin that the tiaras and express boats were lacking. I personally think there is a remarkable resemblance between current production Tiaras and our beloved international series express boats.
I am no longer bring up the design and construction aspect when comparing most boats. Grady white who has a huge following has had some design flaws throughout the years ( http://www.docksidereports.com/boatrevi ... te_272.htm scroll down and read "gripes").
Even Bertram , who has a cult following similar to our beloved trojan has had some serious design flaws ,blister issues in older boats as well as a few current issues! (http://www.yachtsurvey.com/bad_news_for_Bertram.htm http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-for ... ion.html#b https://www.google.com/search?q=bertram ... QsAQ&dpr=1 )

What I have learned is no matter what boat you purchase just remember that "ITS A BOAT"! plan on doing lots of maintenance and repairs no matter who made it. also remember that there are a bunch of shady people out there that can make a boat look new on the outside while hiding major flaws. I hate to even say this but if i were one of these people ,knowing what I know now about boat repair and reconstruction, I have no doubt that I could take a boat with major flaws and make it "pretty" yet good enough to pass a survey without addressing or correcting the major flaws. scary but true. always look past the beauty and did deep into everything else.
Done ranting , now back on topic. long term cult following/re-fitting and updating classics,
Tiara
Regulator
Contender
nordhavn
bertram
Hatteras
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console