LectraSan Waste system

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Dante D

LectraSan Waste system

Post by Dante D »

hello all
the boat I recently purchase (78 F28) came equipped with the Lectra San Waste system. I was wondering if anyone else out there has one , or is familiar with it. I read up on it and it appears to be desirable. One thing I read that raised an eyebrow is that if you dont boat in salt water you have to install a salt water tank. Most of my boating is done is brackish waters . How important is this? will it work? or ????? Also , mine seems to be "voltage fussy" which means if you dont have completely charged batt's it works but gives you kind of a fault warning. Any thoughts , and info will be appreciated
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: LectraSan Waste system

Post by prowlersfish »

I believe you can just add salt . Salt is a must for it to work as is good battery power
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

maybe you can clarify about "just adding salt" where would I "just add salt"? I know it needs salt water to work, correctly I was wondering about brackish water , if there was enough salt in it,,
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

I have the Lectrasan system on my boat. I boat in fresh water only so I add the salt. I do not have a salt tank as described in the manual. I use a shot glass to measure the salt and just dump it in the bowl prior to flushing. I just use regular table salt. The control unit has a meter and you use this to maintain the correct amount of salt. Add more or less to keep it operating in the green(normal) zone. This unit has been operating like this since 1972 and still works fine. It is Coast Guard approved for overboard discharge. I have had to replace a few fuses, a solenoid and a relay but over all a very reliable unit. If you get the salt too high it draws more current and can blow the 30 amp fuse in the control panel. Word of caution......nothing goes down the toilet that hasn't been eaten first. Someone put a tampon down mine and I had to pull the tank, disassemble and clear the pump....not a fun job....This unit draws a ton of current in the treatment mode, 19-31 amps in normal range, more if you add to much salt so if you aren't on shore power you better have good house batteries...lastly, these units have long since been replaced by the LectraScan system and parts are getting hard to come by. Raritan, the parent company has a great tech support group and have been very helpful in the past. Good luck with you unit.......John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

thanks John, that helps,,
that would explain why the unit sometimes goes into a fault mode when my battery voltage drops off a little,
Im on shore power most of the time, but being I just purchased this boat my house batts are ,,,,so so,,, with that said, the unit trys to operate and then does not motor the macerator at my toilet, but does operate the other portions of the system. I noticed over night when my batteries are charging , it works fine with full battery power,
I like the fact that I dont need to pump out a funky tank, good to know about adding the salt to the toilet directly. As I mentioned in my earlier posting, I am in brackish water, not sure how much salt to add, so I guess Ill experient with it,, I guess there is no way to really tell how effective the treatment really is if it discharges the waste overboard anyway is there , or does the system monitor this as well/ Sorry for the basic questions, but Im to lazy to read the directions I found online and find it much easier to just ask,,lol.
thanks again to all for the help
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

If you don't mind me asking....what does the salt do in that system??....never had one of those before ....Mike
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

in the lectrasan unit simply the salt (sodium chloride)is there to be converted by electricity into a chlorine which is used to treat the waste
if you are interested in the type I msd's i would also look into the purasan units also made by raritan but it uses a chlorine tablet and does not eat up nearly as much electricty when in treatment mode as the lectrasan does. the purasan unit can be used in fresh and salt water it works very well. in addtion the new versions of the purasan do monitor the output concentrate
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

Dante D.....Watch the meter on the control panel. Add enough salt to keep it in the green zone. it doesn't react fast so keep an eye on it.......run it through cycles until you have in the green zone and then keep it there.....keep in mind that if is too low you are dumping waste overboard......
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

your brackish water probably won't have the necessary salt content... watch the meter.....one more thing...if the macerator motor in the treatment unit isn't working than the 30 amp fuse in the control panel is probably blown. When it cycles the first motor to run is the mixer motor, then the treatment light comes on when the macerator motor starts.....if it doesn't check the fuse........John
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

I dont have a meter , but rather a panel with fault indicators. My system seems to be working great, no issues , just have to add some salt when I flush I guess
bssmnbll

Post by bssmnbll »

I have had an Electrosan, since 1994, so is an old system which used a 2 gallon tank of mixed salt and water for consistent mix, rather than counting on everyone to throw correct amount into flush (Raritan electric head). After a friend bought a later system, with a digital metering system and tank with pump, I used the idea, applied to the older full voltage system, by making my own tank,5 gal, putting a small 12 volt bilge pump in the tank, and wiring it to the Raritan, so that when the Electrosan is flushed, the pump would deliver salted water to the flush. Just put a couple of lbs. of rock salt in the tank every couple of cruises. also put a cheap domestic toilet tank valve with float, in the 5 gal tank and plumbed it to my fresh water system. Some would say this has got to be the HIEGHT OF LAZY, but has worked fine for over 20 yrs, and counting.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

bssmnbll wrote:I have had an Electrosan, since 1994, so is an old system which used a 2 gallon tank of mixed salt and water for consistent mix, rather than counting on everyone to throw correct amount into flush (Raritan electric head). After a friend bought a later system, with a digital metering system and tank with pump, I used the idea, applied to the older full voltage system, by making my own tank,5 gal, putting a small 12 volt bilge pump in the tank, and wiring it to the Raritan, so that when the Electrosan is flushed, the pump would deliver salted water to the flush. Just put a couple of lbs. of rock salt in the tank every couple of cruises. also put a cheap domestic toilet tank valve with float, in the 5 gal tank and plumbed it to my fresh water system. Some would say this has got to be the HIEGHT OF LAZY, but has worked fine for over 20 yrs, and counting.
lazy no.............. inventive yes. would love to see pics of the whole thing. i think others would too.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
bssmnbll

Post by bssmnbll »

The wife is the photographer so will try to get her on it when I haul this year.