Plumbing Questions

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Plumbing Questions

Post by prowlersfish »

I have decided to replace all the pipe/tubing/hoses in fresh water system . I am thinking about using PEX tubing as its easy to work with and bends nicely and its cheap too . Any thoughts on using PEX or any other ideas ? Thanks .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Re: Plumbing Questions

Post by P-Dogg »

I prefer push-to-connect fittings over the PEX-brand crimp fittings. They are more costly, but they include an o-ring seal, require no specialized tooling, come in a gazillion configurations, are (usually) all plastic, and are a joy to work on. OK, that might be a stretch. Regardless, the crimp fittings are not as easily reversible as the venerable NPT or push-to-connect. That said, I've no complaints about the quality of PEX-brand piping. And you will probably want to spring for the de-crimping tool when you pony-up for everything else. It will come down to what you are comfortable working with and how many fittings you have to buy.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

I used the red and blue pex and re did my entire system . decided to uses the the push on sharkbite fittings for a few reasons. easy to install in very tight areas where it would be impossible to use a crimping tool. they swivel after being installed which make them easy to adjust. if you screw up you can remove and reuse the fitting. They never leak .
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I thought about red and blue but its not available in 1/4" along with many fittings If I when with a larger size I would still have to down size at the facets so I trying to stay with a 1/4"
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

prowlersfish wrote:I thought about red and blue but its not available in 1/4" along with many fittings If I when with a larger size I would still have to down size at the facets so I trying to stay with a 1/4"

Our boat has 1/2 older style pex type which works real good, only thing is getting the fittings right at the taps etc, past that it is fairly easy to work with.....you could consider the larger size tubing as a type of volume reservoir and only worry at the ends, that would be a bit of a benefit I think...Mike
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

I replumbed my 46' trawler with Sea Tech brand which is the red and blue tubing. Great stuff to work with. I used the larger size in order to get the maximum flow possible. One problem with it is when you buy the coiled tubing, it is very difficult to get it to straighten out. I ordered 10' straight tubes instead. You can get plastic fitting that are used in home plumbing to make 90 degree turns without any fitting which also helps maintain good flow. I would not use 1/4" tubing any more than absolutely necessary due to low flow. The Sea Tech fittings are very easy to use. Just make sure that you fully insert the tube into the fitting. Also, you are able to remove the fitting and reuse it. As previously mentioned, you can swivel the fitting under pressure without causing a leak. It also comes in white tubing which I used for sea water wash down plumbing.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Mine has 1/4" id now I believe that what it came with new But at its age who knows for sure . I want to stay with 1/4 . As a increases in flow could mean more water used .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

Hey Paul, double check your tubing size I find it hard to believe you have 1/4" tubing. Our boats are only a few years apart and mine is 1/2" tubing. It may be 3/8" but doubt its 1/4. With 1/4" tubing you would have very little water flow. Is that why you don't shower on the boat? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

i have the original PEX pipe, 1/2 OD and have used sea tech fittings to connect my new galley and forward head faucets last year. i also have the lowes special 'PEX PIPE CUTTER' which ensures your pipe is straight across. love that tool. and it will cut through up to 1" OD flex hose too!!! make sure you get the cutter. don't scrip on that piece of equipment for your tool box.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The section I just replaced was and is 1/4" as is the section going to the galley sink . The section I just replaced goes to the sink in the head . This tees off the line going forward to the shower . Its possible that could be larger I will check the size of this before ordering . Funny thing about PEX the 1/4 is a full 1/4" ID and the 3/8 and 1/2 are not . They are slightly smaller 3/8 is 0.35" and 1/2 is 0.475" .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Thinking about it , it makes sence that the lines that feed to the shower and have tees to the head sink and the head it self would be large then the lines coming off it . I will find out soon .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

I would go with Pex. I am a plumber by trade. FWIW. You should have 3/8" to lav. kitchen and head and 1/2" to shower. Get the brass fittings because they hold up better. Also go with the copper crimp rings not the tin. Shark bites are ok in a pinch but it is a mechanical device. All mechanical devices have problems. And they can leak. PEX is very resilient and will work great in the marine atmosphere. It holds up to freezing very well too.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Defiantly 1/4"ID to the sinks . Flow is fine . I will check the others this weekend
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

FYI. In general tube is measured on the outside and pipe is measured on the inside. Then there is pex its a little off. I just have not ever used or seen 1/4" PEX. The other sizes (3/8" 1/2" 3/4" 1") are going to be easier to get all the fittings and adapters.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Reel Easy wrote:FYI. In general tube is measured on the outside and pipe is measured on the inside. Then there is pex its a little off. I just have not ever used or seen 1/4" PEX. The other sizes (3/8" 1/2" 3/4" 1") are going to be easier to get all the fittings and adapters.
The 1/4'" is not as common for sure and its hard to find the fittings other then the "qest" type . But its what boat has now size wise and if I went to say 3/8 I still have to change down to 1/4 ID ( pex pipe is ID sized marked ) at the sink . I know what you mean about PEX being a little off . I bet its metric sized and rounded to us sizing . I am trying to keep this simple but its not easy LOL . And keep the fittings to a minim .

This like what I used to repair 1 line
http://www.lowes.com/pd_308057-61002-AP ... 0xvt+2z8vi__
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels