new oil pressure gauges install question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Dante D

new oil pressure gauges install question

Post by Dante D »

as some of you know I have a project F28 that is coming along nicely, its time for me to fix up and make sure my gauges all work,
found some issues with both the upper and lower oil pressure gauges and I really want to re wire/install some new ones. I believe the gauges themselves are ok, but most certainly want to install new wiring or at the very least make them work correctly. Through the years this boat has undergone a few engine changes Im sure, so Im going to start as if its a new install. The gauges themselves are quite easy to wire in, power/ground and sender, on electrical gauges, which I would imagine would be the most common. We all know mechanical gauges are the most accurate , but not necc at this point.
Anyway my question is, with a two gauge situation on my boat, meaning I want to have a gauge up top and one at my lower helm to, obviously cant hook these up in parallel as the reading would not be correct,
whats the best way, ?twin senders on the engine, or ???? Im sure the coolant temp will work roughly the same way,
Big D
Ultimate User

Re: new oil pressure gauges install question

Post by Big D »

You need a dual station sender specifically made for applications with two helms. Just make sure the senders you get are the correct impedance/resistance to match the gages. There are basically two standards. If they are mismatched, they will not work properly.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

The Faria Instruments webpage has a lot of useful information on it. The manual for their oil pressure gauges is at http://faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0007E.pdf . Like Big D said, the sender is specific to a two station arrangement. The gauges are the same in either a single or two station arrangement.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Big D wrote:You need a dual station sender specifically made for applications with two helms. Just make sure the senders you get are the correct impedance/resistance to match the gages. There are basically two standards. If they are mismatched, they will not work properly.
X2 X2 to doghouse too
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

OK,thats what I thought , AS THE PO had a "Y" installed at the engine with two transmitters(senders) on the engine. I was not aware that the made one sender with two outputs
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

On both the f28s I have dealt with the original wiring was still good and in place. Of course that does not keep and owner from changing wiring. My experience the engine wiring harness has been still the same and it is easier to use it if intact. ++ on dual senders that match the gauges. :)
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Dante D wrote:OK,thats what I thought , AS THE PO had a "Y" installed at the engine with two transmitters(senders) on the engine. I was not aware that the made one sender with two outputs
Not 2 outputs the sender uses the same terminal for both gauges .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

prowler
is that possible, I know in automotive if you connect two gauges to one terminal, it screws up the signal for each gauge and you would not get an accurate reading, . unless of course the transmitter is calibrated for that??? is that the case?
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

how does everyone feel about mechanical oil pressure gauges, where you would use the 1/8 th tubing , they most def work the best and most accurate
RichSchink

Post by RichSchink »

I've always had mechanical gauges mounted in the engine compartment. With a couple of feet of tubing they were always remotely mounted to where the 1 hatch was lifted before / after start up inspection.
I'm about to purchase a 1974 F-32 and that will be one of the first tasks done.
Below is a link to the style of gauges used.
I use the white face w/black # 0-60lbs easier to see.

Rich

http://www.harleycustom.com/US_Marlins- ... 1530_17080
1974 F 32 Sedan "Debra Lee"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

RichSchink wrote:I've always had mechanical gauges mounted in the engine compartment. With a couple of feet of tubing they were always remotely mounted to where the 1 hatch was lifted before / after start up inspection.
I'm about to purchase a 1974 F-32 and that will be one of the first tasks done.
Below is a link to the style of gauges used.
I use the white face w/black # 0-60lbs easier to see.

Rich

http://www.harleycustom.com/US_Marlins- ... 1530_17080

That's fine but you still need gauges were you operate the boat
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Dante D wrote:prowler
is that possible, I know in automotive if you connect two gauges to one terminal, it screws up the signal for each gauge and you would not get an accurate reading, . unless of course the transmitter is calibrated for that??? is that the case?

The sender (transmitter if you want ) for dual helms is calibrated for 2 gauges so they both read correctly . When you look at marine senders you will see some listed for dual helms , that's what you need . Of course it needs to match the gauges ( and its best the gauges match)
Dante D wrote:how does everyone feel about mechanical oil pressure gauges, where you would use the 1/8 th tubing , they most def work the best and most accurate
There fine but that a lot of "plumbing" to run from 2 engines to 4 gauges easily damaged and could leak . Good electrical gauge work fine
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
RichSchink

Post by RichSchink »

Yes, dual helms both need a full set of operational gauges
But it's nice to see the mechanical pressure(s) during inspection.
1974 F 32 Sedan "Debra Lee"
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Dante D wrote:how does everyone feel about mechanical oil pressure gauges, where you would use the 1/8 th tubing....
Why bother?? I have one in my tool box but I only use it when on a job to confirm a suspicion that there is indeed an oil pressure problem. Other than that, an electric gage is just fine. Even if it's not that accurate, all you need to know is that you're operating within an acceptable range.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

I know that if you already have electric gauges and the wiring is in place, it would not make much sense to install mechanical gauges. I know about putting them in the engine compartment, Ive seen that on occasion as well. But being that the wiring in my boat is in need of complete replacement I figured I would run 4 lengths of the tubing, instead of wiring/ Its fairly easy for me to run it, and the tubing is pretty rugged. Ive never seen any leak, On occasion at the connector at the gauge it may wet a little. It was just a thought. I think when comparing its the same amount of work for me either way, all things being equal, I would vote for the electric I suppose