1990 International Mid cabin cutlass bearing replacement

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BarryL
Sporadic User

1990 International Mid cabin cutlass bearing replacement

Post by BarryL »

Hi guys,

I have a 1990 International Mid cabin that I soft grounded late last summer. I had the props rebuilt but know that I need to replace the Starboard cutlass bearing.

Does anyone know the specs for the cutlass bearing? anyone have the whiz bang removal tool that allows replacement with shaft and strut in place that they would consider renting out? I see the tool available on line for anywhere between 500-700 bucks but for the casual use it would get that's a tough spend. The marina owner will let me do my own work and he suggests removing the strut but if I can avoid that I'd be happier.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Barry

Pray for spring!!!
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
koviak
Moderate User

Re: 1990 International Mid cabin cutlass bearing replacement

Post by koviak »

Barry you can replace cutlass bearings without removing the strut. You will need to remove your prop and slide a pc. of pipe ( smaller size than cutlass bearing) over the shaft. Check for set screws that may be securing cutlass in place. Drive the pipe forward into strut and the bearing will come out forward. Grind or file down and slide it back to remove, install new ( use dish soap to lubricate). Hope this helps. Dennis
Dennis
1989 10 Meter Mid-Cabin