Engine Confusion

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

horhay1946

Re: Engine Confusion

Post by horhay1946 »

Thanks for the info Bob. One more question. Are there any differences in the piston installation or the timing set. I would use the crank out of the old engine, however it is a mass of rust. I cannot even get the rod caps off and I know the pistons are not comming out becahse of the rust.
1985 Mako 258 (One Owner)
1981 Trojan Tri Cabin

George
rsciolino

Post by rsciolino »

velvet drive transmissions have the ability to change rotation from front to back simply by unbolting the pump and rotating it. Look at the service manual

Std Drive engine vs reverse, one has timing chain set, one has simply two gears for camshaft.

beware of the starter, they are different. also make sure when u spec a starter is it engine mounted or bellhousing mounted.

Water pickup pump may need hoses reversed.

I just converted another Trojan. Just take your time and do the research
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

Every thing is the same except the starter, cam, distributor and distributor drive gear. of course the timing is different. Since you are putting a rev rotation engine to replace the bad rev rotation engine you do not have to be concerned with the the transmission.

If you are having trouble understanding all the good help you are getting feel free to give us a call.

Bob Cushman
Beacon Marine
609 713 4602
Bob@trojanboatsnet@aol.com
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~
horhay1946

Post by horhay1946 »

What I have decided to do is to convert the reverse short block back to std rotation. The boat came with a std rotation engine. I have all the parts for a reverse and standard rotation engine. I figure I will have to check the crank for the oil sllinger marks, change the seals, change the cam and drive gear. I have 2 oil pumps, a reverse and a std dizzy. I also have a steel timing cover and an aluminum one.

If I had done a little more research before I bought the engine I would have bought the right engine, however the deal on the rebuilt engine was so good it was hard to pass up.

What I took out of the boat is a rusted and seized block and rusted heads. the engine only had about 150 hours on it as the origional was replaced about 10 years ago. I found in the documentation that came with the boat a receipt for a reverse rotation engine, so you can see how I went down the wrong path. The rebuilt engine was built up to replace a raw water engine with a bad block.
1985 Mako 258 (One Owner)
1981 Trojan Tri Cabin

George