Replacement toilet for a '75 F36

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Mnester95

Replacement toilet for a '75 F36

Post by Mnester95 »

What would be the best replacement toilet for our boat. We just bought the boat and need to replace the one in it since it is cracked.
Bubbabuda
Sporadic User

Re: Replacement toilet for a '75 F36

Post by Bubbabuda »

Mnester95,
I put a Raritan Elegance straight back with smart flush option. It has a regular flush, water saver flush, water only and empty only flush. I installed in winter of 2011 and first used in 2012. No regrets, worth every penny. Used the Trident premium hose so there is no smell.
Looks great and a easy install.
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

I agree on the Raritan Elegance.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

that would depend on your budget,
not everyone can afford to install a 1200 toilet in their boat, (Raritan Elegance)
the prices can range from 159.00 to 2000, depending on what you want,
they all do what their suppose to do, what you have to look at is if you want electric, manual etc,
smell, no smell etc,,then a better decision can be made. I was lucky as the boat I purchased had an electric Raritan unit with lectro san processing. I most certainly would not spend 1200 bucks on the toilet alone , but thats me , Im funny like that.
Last edited by Dante D on Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Depends what you mean by "best". My boat had, until recently, perfectly functioning Traveler heads. I had two, and they were paid for. Each had about a 9 gallon holding tank built right into the base, which when combined with the main holding tank, allowed for some time to elapse before black water storage was at capacity.

On the other hand, each flush let out quite an odor, which was the worst part of my entire boating experience. We are in the process of upgrading to Vacuflush heads. We lose the en suite holding tank, but we are promised reduced water consumption, and since the bowls are evacuated under suction (actually, the atmosphere pushes the goods into the vacuum, they don't get "sucked" there), nothing comes back out when you flush. Because they use less water, holding tank demand is supposed to be less than conventional heads, so we expect no material change in the number of flushes before a pumpout is required.

I agree $1200 for a toilet is way out of line. I think I paid about two for $1200, plus 2 x $1250 or so for the vacuum generators. I have no idea why toilets are even $600. A piece of porcelain made in China, with a couple of plastic pieces and a toilet seat, should not cost that much. Regardless, the "best" head for me means lowest odor. Not lowest cost. Not maintenance-free.

FYI, I plumbed as much of my discharge line as possible with clear PVC pipe, and used the premium no-odor hose on the rest. The clear pipe, as expensive as it was, was still cheaper then the no-odor hose, and you can troubleshoot clogs if it becomes necessary.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

I did not pay $1200.00 for the Raritan Elegance, more like $650.00. I did not want the complexity of a vacuum discharge head. We had a Traveler head in a Carver and I agree on the smell when it was flushed. That did not last long with my wife...
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

Do most people use water from the holding tank for the toilet? mine is plumbed in using raw water from around the boat, as it uses the salt in the water to neutralize the waste (Lectra san),? so water consumption is not a concern. do most have it plumbed from the water tank? And not to go off topic but,,,,,,,,,,, I went to West Marine to purchase a new toilet seat for my toilet(that was my first mistake) and can you believe they quoted me 120 for a replacement seat ? what?????????? anyway, as most can imagine I didnt buy it. Marine and RV seats are slightly smaller and if you want to get the RIGHT one you have to pay, so I took a trip to Home Depot and bought a solid Oak seat for 13.95. Its slightly larger and really dosent match the wood in my boat, but for 14 bucks who cares.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Many boats come plumed to use raw water to flush . I know when I added a holding tank and new head (had a recirculating head) I plumed it to used fresh water . It really helps with the smell . I used a Raritan sea era head house hold size .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Mnester95 wrote:What would be the best replacement toilet for our boat. We just bought the boat and need to replace the one in it since it is cracked.
You don't say where you boat. I boat on Great Lakes with my F32 so happily use a raw water head. My Florida boat is setup to use fresh water from the water tanks so as to reduce odour from salt water flush. I have two Elegance freshwater flush full size heads which were in the $500 range as they don't need the raw water pump! I also saved $$ by using the basic flush button without all the features of the Smart flush.
There is nothing like the VacuFlush head IMO.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
Bubbabuda
Sporadic User

Post by Bubbabuda »

I paid 680 for the toilet and a little over 100 on hoses. Purchased from Defender, If you can wait until april they have a inventor sale and take 10% off everything. I purchased from a recomendation from this site, I did my research and felt it was worth investment.
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

It really doesn't matter what you end up installing, you'll still end up taking crap from everyone. :D