1976 F32 Main fuse panel conversion

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bssmnbll

1976 F32 Main fuse panel conversion

Post by bssmnbll »

I want to convert the fuse board below the lower helm, with a breaker panel. Has anyone had experience with this? Can I combine circuits, like wipers, so I don't need so many breakers? Any ideas would be appreciated. Bill Nelson
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Re: 1976 F32 Main fuse panel conversion

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

Bill, Good post, I would like to do the same. My fuse block has problems with the fuses making proper contact, fully in they sometimes do not complete the circuit and need to pull the fuse half way out to get contact. Next day totally the opposite. Have been told you can recondition but would prefer to replace.
Season is short, we make the best of it.
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Check out this thread for replacing the stock fuse block with standard parts...

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... f=1&t=8938

Otherwise, I did a little research on replacing the fuses with breakers and the breakers just take up too much space, The entire AC/DC panel will have to be rebuilt. I was looking at some panels from Blue Sea systems and Czone. It can be done, but for me it was both cost and time prohibitive.

I then looked at replacing the current glass fuse block with ATO fuses just for the reason that they are a bit less prone to corrosion and the colors help identify the amperages. I could not find a suitable part that did not require modifications and it too proved to be time and cost prohibitive.

I decided on replacing them with the stock glass fuse blocks. For less than $20 and 20 minutes, I had two fuse blocks swapped out and solved my immediate issues. Perhaps I can revisit modernizing the panel in the future.
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

FWIW they make a circuit breaker in ATC fuse sizes that you could use. They do auto reset if tripped but no off/on switch. I have used them in class 8 trucks for years. They are nice and reliable. A dab of dielectric grease before you plug them in and you should have no corrosion problems. (Another of my favorite tricks)
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I personally don't think auto reset breakers should be used in most cases .( they can hide issues ) As far as combing circuits on fuses I would not do so . If you took 2 10 amp circuits and put them on a single fuse what size fuse would you use ? If you used a 10 amp then there is a good chance it would blow as operating the 2 ,10 amp circuits would over load the fuse in normal opp . Now lets say you use a 20 amp fuse . In normal opp it would not blow , BUT . Lets say you get a partly shorted device on one of the 10 amp circuits . The short is pulling 15 amps what happens ? That 20 amp fuse is feeding power to the over loaded circuit so the circuit starts to over heat and if your lucky burn out the circuit if your not so lucky you have a fire .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I think he is talking about doubling circuits that would only be used one at a time. That will work but you have to remember which ones are doubled or kapow, no fuse. Not the best idea but could work using on-off-on switches there by prohibiting doubling the load. But I agree not a great plan. :)
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

larryeddington wrote:I think he is talking about doubling circuits that would only be used one at a time. That will work but you have to remember which ones are doubled or kapow, no fuse. Not the best idea but could work using on-off-on switches there by prohibiting doubling the load. But I agree not a great plan. :)
No not a good plan and adding switches , sure is not making it simpler . As we add things to our boat we should be adding fuses not reducing them .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
bssmnbll

Post by bssmnbll »

Allen Sr., can you recall who makes the ATC board? that may be a better way to go, not need any more space, control corrosion, and ID problems
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I am not suggesting adding switches but you could use either/or switches instead of original that is on-off-on, so that the circuit could not be doubled. But as I said not the best of ideas in my opinion.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink