Replacement Nav Side Lights

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bjanakos
Moderate User

Replacement Nav Side Lights

Post by bjanakos »

I am planning on re-lamping my entire rig with LED bulbs. I have been logging part numbers as I go along, but if anyone already has a complete list, that would be great.

Anyway, my port nave light was not working and I opened her up to grab the bulb. The entire inside is corroded and a giant spider hive. Also, the plastic lens is very brittle and practically disintegrating.

I was looking are replacements and it looks like there is a 1-for-1 replacement part made by Perko. But I was considering these 100% sealed LED lights from Atwood.

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/3530

I am curious if anyone used these and if there are any complaints.
BlueBelle

Re: Replacement Nav Side Lights

Post by BlueBelle »

I installed the same nav lights about a year ago. They work great. The footprint is a bit smaller than the original nav lights they replaced on my international, so they looked a bit messy until I repainted the topsides. The tell-tale LED on the top of the housing is great, as I can see it well from the flybridge to assure myself the lights are on.
1986 Trojan 11M w/ twin JT671TI
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

How "Messy" was it? About the only thing I figure is an exposed screw hole and possibly a few square inches of mix-matched gel coat. The former can be easily filled with a dab of silicone or epoxy.
BlueBelle

Post by BlueBelle »

It was no messier than you are expecting.
1986 Trojan 11M w/ twin JT671TI
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

I think it's a great idea!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

They arrived via UPS yesterday and they are pretty robust for the money and the "marine" designation. I fired them up in the basement and they really do throw off some light compared to the tiny incandescents they are replacing. I was looking at sealed LED stern units, but I think I am just going to go with replacement bulbs for the stern and top lights.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

bjanakos wrote:They arrived via UPS yesterday and they are pretty robust for the money and the "marine" designation. I fired them up in the basement and they really do throw off some light compared to the tiny incandescents they are replacing. I was looking at sealed LED stern units, but I think I am just going to go with replacement bulbs for the stern and top lights.
I hope the plan is to replace the bulbs with LED equivalents? That is what I did on my F32 and the President.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

ready123 wrote:
bjanakos wrote:They arrived via UPS yesterday and they are pretty robust for the money and the "marine" designation. I fired them up in the basement and they really do throw off some light compared to the tiny incandescents they are replacing. I was looking at sealed LED stern units, but I think I am just going to go with replacement bulbs for the stern and top lights.
I hope the plan is to replace the bulbs with LED equivalents? That is what I did on my F32 and the President.
I am. In fact, if you know the bulb types for the top lights, I would appreciate that. My stern is a 42mm Festoon.

I am actually compiling a list of all bulb types to post once completed.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL