F28 List

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Dante D

F28 List

Post by Dante D »

I spoke with a member already on this and was wondering if anyone else has seen this before in an F 28
When I purchased my boat , the port engine was not installed, and because of this the boat "listed" to Starboard. I since have installed the engine and still have approx 3 inch list to starboard.
All tanks etc are equalized and no unusual items installed. My cabin however is completely open , with no dinette etc, AS mentioned another member pointed out that both helms are toward starboard (fly and lower) but just seems strange to me. I figured approx 250 lbs on port gunwale will level her off. I know a few members have F 28's any thoughts?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: F28 List

Post by prowlersfish »

Are they fuel levels in both thanks the same ? water tanks ? water and fuel are heavy . Anything major missing ? Both engines and gears the same ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Dante D

Post by Dante D »

as I stated in the posting everything is equal, including water/fuel/engines. whats missing is whatever was originally mounted on the port side as soon as you enter the cabin, looks like there may have been a small locker to port ,a dinette or ?? but how much can that weigh? and the original hot water heater which was mounted directly under the foward hatch in the main cabin. What a member mentioned is that both helms are at starboard? I know that stuff is kinda of heavy, could that be it? I already installed ballast to the tune of 240 lbs and its completely level,
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Why would you add ballast of 240 lbs to carry around? When underway Trim tabs will keep you level or even wind effect lean!
Is it really that big a deal to have a tilt when at the dock?
I don't worry about any lean at rest and certainly would not add ballast to increase my fuel burn, there have got to be better ways to achieve this other than adding ballast.....
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Mine does it too and it is normal. Boat still goes where you point it.
Last edited by larryeddington on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Dante I can see why you are trying to sort this out here are some ideas.

To start I have no idea what is in your boat but I can guess at some weight.... 3 to 4 sheets of 3/8 ply for cabinets ,120 lbs...then a full 5 gal water heater about 60 lbs for a total of 180 then a sink and counter top ,cushions etc so all that stuff missing adds up......these boats are designed to sit fairly level at rest.......another thing, until you know for sure those tank Gage's can be inaccurate especially in round tanks.....Mike
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Here is what the factory layout of the F28 Sedan was fro m'76 to '79.
F28 Sedan.PNG
F28 Sedan.PNG (13.65 KiB) Viewed 5603 times
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

What about the batteries? Are they matched? I have a friend with a 24" Bayliner and his single engined boat will list depending upon which side he places his two batteries. He ended up installing one on either side of the engine and crossing the cables back. Just a thought.
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

Post by Bob Giaier »

My brother had a 78 F28 and it listed one way. Don't remember which way, but we figured if the water tank was full it might put her straight. There was a problem with the fresh water, so we were never able to see.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

The original freshwater tanks were 40 gallon on port and 20 gallon on starboard total 60. It was done to allow room for the mechanical steering shaft that could be interfered with on the starboard side. On my 78 I replaced both with 30 gallon food grade plastic barrels which fit perfectly and are equal. It still leans to the right, however both barrels are empty at present. The old setup would make it lean to the port I would think.

I have an old thread on this board regarding list and I think the consensus was some boats just have a slight list, and to use trim tabs.

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/searc ... yeddington
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

My Boat used to list when docked bow in.

Now I back it stern in and no list.

Guess I had that baby really tied down!!!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express