Replacing Raw Water Pump Impellers

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

The Dog House
Active User

Replacing Raw Water Pump Impellers

Post by The Dog House »

I have a 1971 Chrysler 318 with a Sherwood dual impeller water pump (see below).

I need to change the impellers this spring. How difficult is this? Is there anything I need to watch out for? I'm sure after I do it the first time it won't be difficult, but the first time is always a bit of a learning experience. Thanks for any tips or pointers you can provide.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Re: Replacing Raw Water Pump Impellers

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

Remove the impeller without disassembling, there are small parts inside, then take to a table where you can be sure nothing gets lost. Mine are sherwoods but I only have a single for each engine. Make sure you get the proper one for yours, you should be able to insert the impeller either way as they are self correcting for rotation. Be sure to lubricate the splines with a non petrolium grease.
Season is short, we make the best of it.
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

Take a picture of the pump while it's on the motor so you can see which way to reinstall it. It's easy to switch it around and make it pump the wrong way.
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Before you remove the pump, mark up the hoses and mating ports on the pump and how the pump mounts on the bracket. Before you dismantle the pump, mark all the different sections of the pump where they mate with the adjacent section, draw a line from one section through to the next. A thin paint pen is good for this. You won't go wrong doing it this way, and taking pictures is a great idea. That allows you to post them here so others can see how it's done :wink:
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
akwalker
Sporadic User

Post by akwalker »

Just a suggestion. Lubricate the impeller with dish soap. When you start the engine with the boat in the water and see the soap suds out of the exhaust, you'll know you've got it right !!
1981 F-26 hardtop
"Gracious Lady"