New Canvas

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

The Dog House
Active User

New Canvas

Post by The Dog House »

I'm thinking about getting new canvas for my F26. Can anyone recommend a canvas shop in the central NJ area?
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
The Dog House
Active User

Re: New Canvas

Post by The Dog House »

I'm starting to get quotes for this work. Has anyone had canvas made for a Trojan F26? What ballpark price should I expect for Sunbrella canvas and Strataglass?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Remember When comparing price compare what you are getting . On the glass for example you can get it in 20, 30, 40 or 60 mil . 20 mil will dis color/yellow quickly you will save up front butb it won't last . I recommend 40 mil Are you getting real Sunbrella canvas and Strataglass or some cheap knock off ? Strataglass also offers a lower cost glass (20/20) its a none coated type but still a good product . What type of thread ? some threads fall apart in the sun light after a few years good thread can cost 10x the cheap stuff so not all canvas shops use it .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

prowlersfish wrote:Remember When comparing price compare what you are getting . On the glass for example you can get it in 20, 30, 40 or 60 mil . 20 mil will dis color/yellow quickly you will save up front butb it won't last . I recommend 40 mil Are you getting real Sunbrella canvas and Strataglass or some cheap knock off ? Strataglass also offers a lower cost glass (20/20) its a none coated type but still a good product . What type of thread ? some threads fall apart in the sun light after a few years good thread can cost 10x the cheap stuff so not all canvas shops use it .
I've been very specific that I want quotes for Sunbrella canvas and Strataglass clear vinyl. I will make sure the written quote specifies Sunbrella canvas and Strataglass 40 mil clear plastic. I haven't specified anything about the thread. Is there a specific type of thread I should require?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Ask for a " lifetime thread " the are many brands . a spool costs about $130. vs $15-35 its holds up against sun bleach and other stuff . the cheap thread won't and you can end up having to re sew it after 4-5 years ( faster if breach hits it ) . My canvas guy/gal ( husband and wife ) will no longer use anything but the best .

If you can look at what boats they have done
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Have your Bimini made in Seamark, which is simply vinyl-lined, waterproof Sunbrella. We use it on all Sea Rays, larger Chaparrals and some Rinkers and Regals. Gore Tenara thread will last as long as the Sunbrella, but it is much more expensive.

I'm not a big Strataglass fan, as it requires more care than plain, flat 30ga vinyl (aka "eisenglass"), but many like it. Our customers have more problems with it than the std eisenglass. We sell the OEM canvas for over 100 boat manufacturers (http://RNR-Marine.com/Canvas.shtml) and 98% of what we sell is simply flat sheet (not rolled) 30ga (0.030" thick) clear vinyl. If you do go with Strataglass, 40ga is the ticket.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17