What To Use To Remove Haze On Interior Wood

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Lean Wolf

What To Use To Remove Haze On Interior Wood

Post by Lean Wolf »

I have a slight milky looking haze on my interior woodwork on my F44. I have tried a couple of cleaners and cannot seem to get it off. It seems to smear when I wipe it off or even go away completely however it then comes back. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use to clean this? Any recommendations on a polish after it is cleaned?
Drew
1979 Trojan F44, Detroit 6-71's
Chopped 47 Ford, 460 CI
7421f

Re: What To Use To Remove Haze On Interior Wood

Post by 7421f »

Can you post a picture of the problem? From your description, it sounds like either moisture or a buildup of polish. Pledge will turn milky if too many applications are used. It has silicone in it. Here's a couple of methods to try. I highly suggest trying these in a small, inconspicuous place as possible.

Method 1: Steel Wool and Linseed Oil

Use steel wool (number 0000) that has been dunked in linseed oil to buff the area of the furniture that has blushing or white spots, making sure to rub in the direction of the wood’s grain. Continue until the blushing and/or white spots are no longer visible. After wiping the wood dust away with a smooth rag, apply hard furniture wax (like Johnsons Paste Wax in the can) to the area. The last step is to buff and polish the newly waxed area until it shines and matches the surrounding area.

Method 2: Denatured Alcohol

Denatured alcohol, which is a mild solvent, can be used to help remove blushing and white spots. To try this method, make sure the surface is completely dry, and then use a cloth that has been moistened with denatured alcohol to wipe the area. Remember to use light yet fast strokes, and do not rub the area (because this can cause permanent damage to the finish). This method can be repeated two or three times. When the blushing and/or white spots disappear, the area can then be waxed and polished to restore its original glossy finish.
Tim
1984 Trojan 11 Meter Express "My Vixen"
Big Blue 454's

http://photobucket.com/MyVixen
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

Don't go with a power grinder and 40 grit paper. Your boat is, I assume original and well taken care of, which means you have cleaned and polished or waxed over the years. If so you need to remove this to get back to the natural finish. Then start the process again. Check with a local furniture repair shop for a mild wax/polish remover, and go gently.
Season is short, we make the best of it.
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

Wash with murphys oil soap. That should clean the wood real nice.
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

1967 seavoyager wrote:Wash with murphys oil soap. That should clean the wood real nice.
My interior wood is a mix of mahogany and teak finished with Cetol with a top coat of clear. I also have this white film on the wood work every spring and Murphy's is exactly what I use to clean it up. Works great!
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB