Rotted Stringers

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Rotted Stringers

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

Is there a simple or guaranteed method to detect stringer issues. I do not see any indication of failure from the outside of the stringers and have tapped in several places with a hammer and seam to get a consistent sound that I assume ( Yeh I know ass of you and me ) is solid or every one is rotten.
Season is short, we make the best of it.
bjanakos
Moderate User

Re: Rotted Stringers

Post by bjanakos »

There are methods to further detect if the stringers or hull are wet, but usually the first test is a good rap with a hammer.

You are correct that you want to hear a consistent sound throughout, but what you are looking for is a nice solid "thunk" and some rebound from the hammer. If you hear a dead spot, or the hammer does not bounce back, it may be trouble.
Big D
Ultimate User

Re: Rotted Stringers

Post by Big D »

Simple method? sound it with a mallet and take a moisture reading. Guaranteed method? drill with a hole saw to get core samples. Even when you've sounded for years, there are always some that leave you wondering. That's when you drill core samples to confirm.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year