Norcold Upgrade

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Paul
Active User

Norcold Upgrade

Post by Paul »

Another spring project done. Although 37 year old Norcold refrigerator still worked on both AC & DC, I replaced it with a new and more efficient Nova Kool unit. We love spending days on the hook and having a fridge that is a power hog can really hang a job on the battery bank. The Norcold draws 7 amps @ 12vdc and on a summer day will run for 35-40 minutes of every hour. The Nova Kool draws only 2.4 amps however I've still to determine the cycle times, although I'm assuming their less due to better insulation and door seal.

I do kinda miss the teak veneer front panel that I had on the Norcold. I might just have to make on for the new fridge as well.

Norcold

Nova Kool

Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Re: Norcold Upgrade

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

How much, if you don't mind.
Season is short, we make the best of it.
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Which Nova Kool model did you use?
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

The fridge is a Nova Kool R3800 and cost me approx $1200 taxes in. The old unit had foot rails underneath for mounting (which equaled an inch of its height) and the new one installs with a front flange. The new one is also about 1 1/2" shorter 3/4" narrower so to be able to install it, I had to reduce the opening size. To do this, I installed with screws a 3/8"x 1" oak strip on each side and a 3/4 x 2 piece standing on edge across the bottom. The side pieces are what the fridge screws into and are hidden behind the flange. The bottom piece however is visible so I finished it with Cetol so it doesn't look out of place. The bottom piece also has openings cut into it for ventilation that equal 30 in. sq. as recommended by Nova Kool.

Although this fridge is a slight bit smaller in physical size, the lost area is only in the freezer. The refrigerated area is actually a bit larger that the Norcold was.
Paul
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Looks great!
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Great Job, Paul. You're right, that teak veneer with what appears to be a chrome trim looked great in your old unit. Boy, that floor looks pretty good too.
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
32pacemaker

Post by 32pacemaker »

that looks great, what a nice up grade Paul, Paul can we get some more pic's of your interior like your table I'm still looking for some ideas for the Sea Horse .
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

32pacemaker wrote:Paul can we get some more pic's of your interior like your table I'm still looking for some ideas for the Sea Horse .
No problem, I try to do this after work tonight.
Paul
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

How about these.

Paul
32pacemaker

Post by 32pacemaker »

Wow ! nice Paul that sole looks great and is that a hatch under the table ?
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

WOW
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

The hatch under the table is a little extra storage that I added when we installed the floor. You'll notice that there's also a similar hatch in the V berth which is also added storage. The bottom in the V berth storage is removable for access to the forward bilge pumps. The teak sole is 1\4" marine ply with teak and holy veneer that can be purchased in 4'x 8' sheets. It was glued down to the existing plywood floors in the V berth and dinette areas. On the floor in front of the galley, it was glued to 3/4" marine ply and installed as 1 piece from the forward bulkhead to the steps. Screws hold it in place around the edges and are hidden with 1/4 round teak moldings, all of which are removable so that I can access the bilge area beneath when required.

The bulkheads had vinyl covering on them which I removed (pain in the axx) and replaced with teak veneer. As for the galley & head, the doors and drawers were replaced with custom made red mahogany doors which blend in nicely with the teak. All of the dark walnut Formica from the '70s was refaced in white Formica. The table and counter top were also refaced. As for the steps, the top step and stringer are removable (without tools) which makes for more storage. I also added a removable panel in the bulkhead behind the steps for easy access to the front of the engine for service.

The finish on the floors is Cetol, all of the vertical stuff also has the clear coat.
Paul
32pacemaker

Post by 32pacemaker »

Paul it's on my list now to do the sole in he Sea Horse yours very classy looking....how did you bond it to the plywood ?
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

32pacemaker wrote:Paul it's on my list now to do the sole in he Sea Horse yours very classy looking....how did you bond it to the plywood ?
The 1/4 Teak & Holly ply was bonded in place with PL200 then clamped in place until cured. All of the teak trim and edging was bonded in place using West System. Teak and Holly ply came from the link below.

http://publiclumber.com/store/pc/Teak-and-Holly-c41.htm
Paul
wayne 1

Post by wayne 1 »

Hey Paul looks great. Do you still have your old one. Wayne ,Give me a call .Hope to see you on the water this year.
1989 10 meter mid cabin
175 skeeter
17 Vanguard
13 Caesar Thundercat
Taser sailboat