lazarette seacock item burst - what is it?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rufflivin

lazarette seacock item burst - what is it?

Post by rufflivin »

I thought I closed my lazarette seacock for winter but apparently did not and sure enough I have a water leak from the burst element beside the seacock. Here is a picture showing the top of what is broken. There is a bottle/container underneath the green device that has a crack and when the seacock is open, water pours thru it. So I need to replace that part but don't know what it is (and it is not easy to remove the old one.) I tried to take off the hoses beside the seacock so I could pull the unit up (kinda like the strainer on my Sea Ray) but the hoses appear to be tightly connected with more than the stainless steel "thingie" (I am VERY NEW at all these terms, sorry.) I loosed them but the hose is actually like a water hose and they will not loosen, even with a wrench. My main question is what is the part that I need to get to replace? Again, it is like a strainer bottle or plastic unit and it is broken (must have froze over the winter) and it is hard to get it off. But the Trojan manual show nothing in this area, just a table of where seacocks are.

Thanks for any help you can suggest, esp based on my ability to describe the situation as well as I wish I could.
Attachments
by seacock in lazarette.jpg
by seacock in lazarette.jpg (68.43 KiB) Viewed 6201 times
Frank Brown
Wdavies

Re: lazarette seacock item burst - what is it?

Post by Wdavies »

This appears to be a groco strainer. You can go to groco.net to see the different models. I have an f-36 with the same set up. The hoses slide on to a smooth pipe and held in place with clamps. Over the years the hoses do get stuck to the pipe but can be worked loose.

Good luck,

Bill Davies
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

X2 straner
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

rufflivin wrote:I thought I closed my lazarette seacock for winter but apparently did not and sure enough I have a water leak from the burst element beside the seacock. Here is a picture showing the top of what is broken. There is a bottle/container underneath the green device that has a crack and when the seacock is open, water pours thru it. So I need to replace that part but don't know what it is (and it is not easy to remove the old one.) I tried to take off the hoses beside the seacock so I could pull the unit up (kinda like the strainer on my Sea Ray) but the hoses appear to be tightly connected with more than the stainless steel "thingie" (I am VERY NEW at all these terms, sorry.) I loosed them but the hose is actually like a water hose and they will not loosen, even with a wrench. My main question is what is the part that I need to get to replace? Again, it is like a strainer bottle or plastic unit and it is broken (must have froze over the winter) and it is hard to get it off. But the Trojan manual show nothing in this area, just a table of where seacocks are.

Thanks for any help you can suggest, esp based on my ability to describe the situation as well as I wish I could.
okay. first things first. this a GROCO SEA WATER STRAINER. if you go to the groco site, you will more than likely find plenty of replacement parts. (see site link below) the top of the strainer can be screwed off by using a tool such as a GROCO WRENCH SPANNER, (i find these provide more torque and are easy to use--i have 2. one to use, and one for those "oh crap"!! moments if it falls overboard) found on amazon or any marine supply store.............
Groco Wrench Spanner/Deck Plate GRO-SW2531
GROCO SPANNER.jpg
GROCO SPANNER.jpg (6.84 KiB) Viewed 6183 times
the BOTTLE CONTAINER that you mentioned, is called a strainer sight glass. mostly made out of lexan these days. yours, and most trojans, have the ARG series of strainers. the cover plate is now lexan on the args series. here is a link to the replacement parts site.
http://www.groco.net/strnrs.htm

the intake hoses are connected by HOSE CLAMPS. double them up at each connection. by the way, i see regular radiator hose for this on yours and they should immediately be replaced with marine reinforced hose. the hoses can easily be removed by using a tool found at any auto supply store. its a radiator hose removal tool. i have a set with various sizes as there are various size hoses on the boat.
radiator hose removal tool.jpg
radiator hose removal tool.jpg (2.46 KiB) Viewed 6183 times
finally, the strainer should simply lift out of the plywood plate once all the hoses are removed.
BUT, REMEMBER TO CLOSE YOUR SEACOCKS BEFORE REMOVING ANY HOSES. unless you want water gushing into your vessel.

this is an easy easy fix. no muss, no fuss. and, next winter, remember to close your seacock and fill the strainer with pink antifreeze. that way, it will not freeze and crack. (you can also drain the sight glass and leave it dry.)

hope this helps. not only with a fix, but with the terms, and pics.
aaron[/b]
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Thanks for posting this! I have that tool and for years I thought it was a broken part belonging to something else. Good thing I kept it!

Top tip on stuck hoses... Windex. If you can get an edge lifted using the reverse-pick tool, squirt a little windex in there and give it 5 minutes. You should be able to work the hose off the barb. Use petroleum jelly on reassembly.
srokag44
Sporadic User

Post by srokag44 »

Heat gun or hair dryer on the hose will help loosen it up too... just don't overdo it.
1985 Trojan 10 Meter International Sedan
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

If you use a heat gun in the bilge, check for gas fumes first. Unless you have an explosion proof heat gun, they are a source of ignition.

You don't want to end up like this guy! http://patch.com/new-jersey/tomsriver/t ... ed-recover
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
rufflivin

Post by rufflivin »

All corrected and working fine now. Thanks all for your input and help!!

Rufflivin'
Frank Brown
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

yeah!!! imogi hand clap!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com