F-32 Flybridge Helm Hydraulic Steering Pump

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

daylategeorge

F-32 Flybridge Helm Hydraulic Steering Pump

Post by daylategeorge »

Hi Guys,
I have a 1978 F- 32 that the previous owner had a problem with the fly bridge steering pump. Apparently the housing cracked and was leaking so he removed the lower helm station and used the pump to replace the upper one. Now that replacement has a small crack in the housing and has also leaked most of the fluid.
My problem is there are no identifying numbers on the unit. All it says is Teleflex Canada and it has four ports on the back of it marked L-R-T-B. It also has three mounting studs on the back side. It looks just like many of the units I've located online ( such as the HH5261) except that they all seem to have 4 mounting studs instead of three.
Does anyone have any idea as to what model this could be or where I could find a replacement? Could I use one of the others as a replacement? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am hoping to not have to replace the entire system if at all possible.
Thanks, George
1978 F 32 Lilli's Pad
2008 Larson Cabrio 260
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: F-32 Flybridge Helm Hydraulic Steering Pump

Post by prowlersfish »

George ,
Do you have a photo ? Even if you can't find the exact replacement you should be able make another helm pump work . Perhaps the 4 bolt mount was a improvement over the 3 bolt . Your boat has cracked 2 helm pumps ( 3bolt ) so there is a issue with stress . Maybe the 4 bolt is the fix .

As long as you get the same line set up you should have no problem .

The pumps a rated in ci per revolution (cu.in/rev) . the lower the C.I. the more turns you will have lock to lock and the easier it will turn , the higher the CI the less turns but it will be harder to turn . But this will not effect how far the rudders will turn . Generally the pumps ci is matched to the ram displacement . but other the amount of turns there no problem with not getting the same CI .

Make sure the steering shaft is the same so you can reuse your wheel
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rmatt

Post by rmatt »

George. PM sent.
Bob
1986 Hatteras 36 Sedan
Cat 3208T

1978 Trojan F32
Chrysler 360
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

The "Entire System" consists for a helm pump, piston, hoses, and oil. So long as your hoses and piston aren't leaking, new pumps may be the fix.

The HH5271 is the standard these days and I agree that the 4 bolt pattern is an update to the previous versions.
rmatt

Post by rmatt »

George. email sent.
Bob
1986 Hatteras 36 Sedan
Cat 3208T

1978 Trojan F32
Chrysler 360