Ethanol

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Ethanol

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

Did a search, not much on the subject. In Canada seams we will no longer be able to purchase ethanol free gas next year. My 1976 F32 with 318's may be headed toward issues with seals,o-rings, gaskets and the accumulation of blobs of non-combustible material collecting in the tanks. I got this info from Canadian Yachting magazine (May 2015). What it does not do is provide any alternatives to this issue.

HELP! :oops: :oops:
Season is short, we make the best of it.
The Dog House
Active User

Re: Ethanol

Post by The Dog House »

I haven't had any problems with my 1971 Chrysler 318 using E10 gasoline (10% ethanol). It is very important that you use a fuel treatment with every fill up, not just at the end of the season. I use Startron every time I add fuel and I haven't had any problems in 3 years.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Have plenty of spare fuel filters on board. when we made the switch to ethanol I went through quite a few filters. the ethanol basically dislodges all of the crud that has accumulated in the tank over the years. went through 3 filters over two weekends on my port and 5 on the starboard before everything went back to normal. Agree with using the startron with every tank. Ive been mixing startron and stabill in the tank of my 16 ft center console before winter storage with no issues, will most likely do the same with the trojan.
Good Luck and be extra happy you dont have fiberglass gas tanks, ethanol eats up some of the older fiberglass tanks,
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

I've rescued a few older boats around the ethanol change over and recently. One in particular was a 26 Silverton, I did not, I don't think treat the gas with anything, just used high octane and tried to dilute whatever was in the tank, I went through about 4 filters the first year, sometimes reusing the old filter by dumping them out (one time because I was basically stuck) water has been a problem with ethanol. I rescued a 1979 F32, the boat sat at the slip for years, the filters would fill up with water after a 20 min run time and backfire underway. Now my 1974 F32 I just bought, sat for about 3 years, I diluted the old fuel with high octane again and added startron, much to my surprise I found 4 bottles of opened startron in the boat, I've been out a couple times this year and had 0 problems, with fuel anyway, need to tighten up the packing but that's for another day lll. So less learned Startron is the best!