Help Needed for Starting Problems

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rickalan35
Moderate User

Help Needed for Starting Problems

Post by rickalan35 »

I wonder if anyone here has experience with the push button starting procedures on a 90's vintage express. The helm of my (new to me) Trojan Express has a double button arrangement labelled Port Ignition on the left side of the helm panel and of course another twin on the other side labelled Starboard Ignition. Each Ignition features a round button and a rectangular button.

I probably have the wrong idea about how to get power to the engines. I have the main breaker turned on (have tried ALL and 1 and 2) and inside at the main DC panel I have the MAIN turned on. Then I turned on PORT IGNITION and then STARBOARD IGNITION on the panel as well (right underneath the MAIN). The I went up to the helm and made sure the transmissions were definitely in neutral and then after giving the engines a shot of gas - I pressed the square button and nothing happened - obviously no 12 volt power to the motors.

Then I came home and read the manual (naturally I am reading the manual second instead of first) and the manual states and I quote, "At the helm console, press the START button. Immediately after press the IGNITION button. Release the IGNITION button when the engine starts. The START button is an on/off switch that will remain activated until pushed again to shut the engine off. The IGNITION button will energize the starter motor only while it is pressed down."

Can anyone give me their interpretation of how this double button affair should work? Does anyone have one of these helms?
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Help Needed for Starting Problems

Post by prowlersfish »

rickalan35 , Few questions Are these gas or diesel ? And do you have pic of the helm ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

I have seen this before. The IGNITION button is an ON/OFF button that basically energizes the console. It has the same effect as turning your car key one click without starting it. THe START button is momentary, and this activates the starter, but only when the IGNITION button is depressed. To kill the engines, hit the IGNITION button again.

With that being said, perhaps you can describe your symptoms?

When you depress the IGNITION buttons, does anything happen? Do you get a buzzer or a chime? Can you see the gauges move (even very slightly)? It's quite possible that we are not getting any 12v power to the motors.

When you hit the start button, do you hear anything? Do the motors turn over? Or is it totally dead?

If we are not getting the starters to go, we should look at the 12v system first. I know it sounds remedial, but you should start at the beginning and make sure your batteries are fresh and fully charged and follow the lines to the battery switches. Look for fuses or breakers that may have blown or tripped. If you have and know how to use a multi-meter, test every connection along the way to the starter.

If you have good batteries and the helm is dead, I am thinking a blown fuse, faulty circuit, bad switch, or improper configuration.
If you have good batteries and the helm is live, I am thinking start motors or solenoid.
BarryL
Sporadic User

Post by BarryL »

I have a 1990 10 Meter express and there are two small breakers between the DC main breakers on the DC side of my panel all the of way at the top of the panel that must be on for anything to happen as far as start and running of the engines. Some think they look like switches but they are actually breakers. Make sure those are on then push in the ignition switch on dash (Should stay in once pressed and is called a locking switch) then hit the start button to engage starter release when the engine starts up.

Barry
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Bjanakos is completely correct. Engines now starting fine.

If I'd read the manual with an open mind, I wouldn't have had issues.

It's a two button starting affair.

The ON/OFF round button when ON is similar to the "Accessory" position on a car ignition (like bjanakos has indicated.) The rectangular button beside it, energizes the starter motor.

The only way to check and see if the round button is on or off is to look at the fuel gauge. If the fuel gauge is reading, then the accessory button is ON.

To shut the motor down when running, press the round button again (like turning the key off)

Barry, I don't appear to have those breakers that you described on this particular model ('94 11 meter). Thanks for the suggestion.

Prowlerfish, as usual thanks for your speedy reply and willingness to offer experienced help.
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters