Chrysler 318 Exhaust Manifolds

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

The Dog House
Active User

Chrysler 318 Exhaust Manifolds

Post by The Dog House »

I'm trying to get a better understanding of my Chrysler 318 "log" exhaust manifolds. I have not been able to find an exploded view diagram describing the passages inside. There are two inlet/outlet ports at either end, one on top and one at the bottom. Are the passages that these ports go to connected in any way or are they totally separate? Thanks for any help you can provide.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Re: Chrysler 318 Exhaust Manifolds

Post by vabeach1234 »

There's only two chambers. The exhaust chamber and the coolant chamber. The ports are all connected to the coolant chamber.
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

If there is no separation between the manifold lower inlet at the front of the engine and the manifold upper exit at the exhaust elbow (see below), why does the water not go from the lower inlet straight up and out the upper exit into the exhaust elbow?

I know this doesn't happen because water comes out the manifold lower outlet at the back of the engine. Does the copper tube run from the manifold upper exit at the exhaust elbow back toward the rear of the engine to prevent the water from going straight up and out the exhaust? At the back of the manifold, does some water exit out the manifold lower outlet and some water go up to the copper tube and out the exhaust? Since I've never taken one of these apart, I'm not understanding how the water goes in the lower part of the manifold at the front of the engine, exits the lower part of the manifold at the back of the engine, enters the upper part of the manifold at the back of the engine, and then finally exits the upper part of the manifold at the exhaust elbow. I know it does this, I just can't figure out why exactly.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year