Kohler generator problem

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rufflivin

Kohler generator problem

Post by rufflivin »

I have a Kohler 6.3 generator and it starts fine, but as soon as I release the start button (not the one on the generator but one installed on the electrical panel), the engine stops. I don't know much (if anything!!) about electricity but am assuming it is a relay switch or something like that causing it to stop. Have long trip in July and MUST have the generator running to keep the Admiral cool (or she'll cut off my head!!)
I can't seem to get anyone in the Tidewater VA area to reply to phone calls etc from Kohler so thought I'd see if any of you have some suggestions for me!

thanks.

Frank Brown
Ruff Livin'
Gatling Pointe Marina, Smithfield, VA
Frank Brown
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Kohler generator problem

Post by prowlersfish »

Try disconnecting the exhaust temp safety switch if runs replace it same goes for the temp and oil switches .If it runs replace them check your oil too

Have you tried Rich at
ATLANTIC MARINE GENERATOR
106 LENWIL DRIVE
CHESAPEAKE, VA 23325 Phone: 757-575-5766 rnapier1@cox.net
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
BarryL
Sporadic User

Post by BarryL »

I had similar problems with a 1998 kohler generator on my previous Trojan. not sure what year yours is but it probably has a temp safety, oil pressure safety, and exhaust temp safety. If any of those are active it will shut down. Mine also had a safety that shut it down if it wasn't producing 120 vols ac. You might try switching your AC panel to the generator and turning off all of your sensitive stuff like microwave, refrigerators etc... and then plug a hair dryer into one of your outlets. Sometimes if they sit too long the field is weak and needs a load to recharge itself. If that doesn't work you might try searching on line for a manual to help make some progress.

Good luck.

Barry
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
rufflivin

Post by rufflivin »

Did check oil and it was low. Added oil but that did not work. I am looking at photos in manual for the High Water Temp Safety Shutdown Switch, the Low Oil Pressure Safety Shutdown Switch and the High Exhaust Temp Safety Shutdown Switch and will head down tomorrow to check each of these items. Not sure how to disconnect but hopefully it will make sense when I look at it first hand. I have a phone number for "Kohler Parts" from a boating source so if the generator runs with these disconnected, I'll get with them.

thanks all.
Frank Brown
bigralph

Post by bigralph »

prowlersfish wrote:Try disconnecting the exhaust temp safety switch if runs replace it same goes for the temp and oil switches .If it runs replace them check your oil too

Have you tried Rich at
ATLANTIC MARINE GENERATOR
106 LENWIL DRIVE
CHESAPEAKE, VA 23325 Phone: 757-575-5766 rnapier1@cox.net
Head's up, I spent well over $1500 with Rich. He is a well meaning, nice guy. My generator does not work to this day, 2 years and a move later. I have a Kohler 8 KW. In fairness, the location of my generator sucks, it's tucked up under the large removable panel in the aft area of my F32. That has the ladder to the flybridge and it hasn't been removed in the 2 years I've owned the boat. However, I spent a whole lot of money with Rich, at the time, and it still doesn't work. He would disappear for weeks at a time and I heard about some significant personal problems from him. I might have been an off customer for him, but I wouldn't say I'm a satisfied customer.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Everyone at the marina that has used him has been happy , with that said he can be hard to get down there . I have not had him work on mine as I do 100% of my own work . But no issue getting some parts from him other then trying to pay him LOL ( I will catch you later billing )
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
aaronrodg

Post by aaronrodg »

With the engine "stops running when I release the start button" symptoms that i had with my Guardian 6551, the cause will be loss of oil pressure or failure to produce AC voltage. The most common cause is corroded slip rings which can be cleaned with Scotch Bright. Chances are it is a simple fix, but it can also be a defective voltage regulator which will set you back $200-$300,or a bad rotor or stator which will make the unit BER. You will just have to test it and see. My guess is you will be lucky.
Last edited by aaronrodg on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

If you have a start switch that is a momentary push on then returns to a rest position when you let it go, check the switch to ensure that the switch is functioning properly. Came across this on an Onan generator that was doing the same thing. Two switches in the circuit; one at the genny and one at the electrical panel. The symptom was the same no matter where I tried to start the unit from so I didn't even suspect the start switches as I figured both failing at the same time was unlikely. Turns out the one on the genny had failed, and prevented the remote switch from working too. A switch malfunction preventing the unit from continuing to run depends on circuit design but worth a try. All suggestions above from the rest of the group are definitely valid possibilities too. The start switch is perhaps the easiest and cheapest item to check first.

PS; pray it's not the rotor$$ While they seldom fail, they are costly to replace.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Big D wrote:If you have a start switch that is a momentary push on then returns to a rest position when you let it go, check the switch to ensure that the switch is functioning properly. Came across this on an Onan generator that was doing the same thing. Two switches in the circuit; one at the genny and one at the electrical panel. The symptom was the same no matter where I tried to start the unit from so I didn't even suspect the start switches as I figured both failing at the same time was unlikely. Turns out the one on the genny had failed, and prevented the remote switch from working too. A switch malfunction preventing the unit from continuing to run depends on circuit design but worth a try. All suggestions above from the rest of the group are definitely valid possibilities too. The start switch is perhaps the easiest and cheapest item to check first.

PS; pray it's not the rotor$$ While they seldom fail, they are costly to replace.
+1.... start with the simple stuff. That's usually where the problem is
Coonash

Post by Coonash »

Well, I guess that's worse than my issues. My generator won't turn off. I have to disconnect battery.
1984 Trojan International 10 Meter
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Coonash wrote:Well, I guess that's worse than my issues. My generator won't turn off. I have to disconnect battery.
Assuming you have a gas generator , it sounds like a bad switch or stuck relay .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Coonash

Post by Coonash »

prowlersfish wrote:
Coonash wrote:Well, I guess that's worse than my issues. My generator won't turn off. I have to disconnect battery.
Assuming you have a gas generator , it sounds like a bad switch or stuck relay .
Yep. Gas Kohler. Will turn on, but Neither the console switch or switch on generator will turn her off. I figured a bad relay, just haven't had time to dig into it.
1984 Trojan International 10 Meter
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I believe they have a stop relay. Could also be a stuck start relay, and again don't discount the start/stop switch.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year