318/360 marine fuel pumps

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

mikeandanne
Moderate User

318/360 marine fuel pumps

Post by mikeandanne »

Heh all, does anyone have a source for a good quality mechanical fuel pump......here is a pic of the one I just removed today, lasted about 20 hours....the originals say made in the USA on them and are much heavier....Thanks Mike
Attachments
IMG-20150626-00511.jpg
IMG-20150626-00511.jpg (240.75 KiB) Viewed 3475 times
Not one of these
Not one of these
IMG-20150626-00509.jpg (237.3 KiB) Viewed 3475 times
Allen Sr
Active User

Re: 318/360 marine fuel pumps

Post by Allen Sr »

Did you check with Bob at Beacon Marine? If he don't have them he probably knows where you can get what your looking for.
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Allen Sr wrote:Did you check with Bob at Beacon Marine? If he don't have them he probably knows where you can get what your looking for.
Already done....he just shows the sierra replacement.....I was hoping someone may have come across a better quality pump much like the older ones,maybe a parts guy with four on the shelf....I can hope I guess....Mike
Scorpion07

Post by Scorpion07 »

How did yours fail? I replaced mine 2 years ago and again this spring. Both the same one as you have. My first one was leaking at the flange where it folds over on the aluminum upper. The hose to the carb didn't pull the leaked fuel into the carb like it was supposed to either. I noticed on my newer one that the two lower stand offs where the fuel lines attach were parallel to each other. The older one had the standoffs angled towards each other, like they were bent wrong. Your pic looks like yours might be bent too?
Anyway I'm hoping the parallel version will last longer.....a LOT longer.
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Scorpion07 wrote:How did yours fail? I replaced mine 2 years ago and again this spring. Both the same one as you have. My first one was leaking at the flange where it folds over on the aluminum upper. The hose to the carb didn't pull the leaked fuel into the carb like it was supposed to either. I noticed on my newer one that the two lower stand offs where the fuel lines attach were parallel to each other. The older one had the standoffs angled towards each other, like they were bent wrong. Your pic looks like yours might be bent too?
Anyway I'm hoping the parallel version will last longer.....a LOT longer.
Had to be the engine where you have to use a mirror to work on it.

It failed because the inverted flare on the discharge side was not the same spec as the pump I took off (height and loose threads), and the fuel line did not want to seal,couple of repair tries by me but finally gave up.....why do we pay for these cheaply made,poorly engineered offshore pieces of crap and then have to re-engineer everything to make it work......there is a noticeable difference in weight between the old one that I put back on and that one in the pics...cast aluminium versus the thin stamped steel legs that are very weak....anyway that is my rant for now and lets keep looking, i need a spare....Mike
Diverted Income
Moderate User

Post by Diverted Income »

Sorry no Mopar experience here but when I did the Chevys I used Mallory pumps. Don't know if they offer the Mopar marine version or not. I feel your pain!
1982 Trojan F-32 w/Merc 230's
1975 Baja V-1800J w/ 502 Ford
http://missriverrat.com
https://www.facebook.com/UMRMriverrat