Tri cabin purchase advice

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dab62

Re: Tri cabin purchase advice

Post by dab62 »

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to being a Trojan owner!
1987 F32
All Wrapt Up
Kent Narrows,Md.
blair

Post by blair »

Hi, and Welcome to the forum!
I can speak to the ease of working on engines in the mid-salon tricabin and I'll start with a little story...
We've had our Trojan for three seasons now, and really love how versatile it is...cruise 10, party 6, Dinner for 4 and sleeps 2.
When we first got it, I made my way down into the engine bay by going through that little hole in the middle of the salon floor. Sure, it was cramped, but well-lit and I could squirm around down there to do any maintenance. One day, a buddy (who knows much more about boats than I did) came out to have a look at our boat. He folds back the carpet (soon to be replaced), flips up a small wooden cover, and then flips up the two side covers. Now, I'm staring at the whole engine bay, completly exposed. Pretty much every square inch of the engine bay is now open to he explored from above!
The tricabin has become the perfect boat for our needs...reasonable price, solid build, easy to find mechanical parts. Check out the various configurations. Initially, I wanted the older style, with the cockpit at the rear, except my wife insited on a flush deck and no ladders. That moved us into post 1978 models. We wound up with a 1979 and couldn't be happier. If I did it again, I would take a longer look at the tri-fly, which uses the space above the salon for the upper flybridge. Lots of entertaining and living area topside, but one huge "sail" surface for the wind to grab, just as you're about to dock.
Depending on how you plan to use your boat, you can't go wrong with a tricabin. Spend some time finding one that has good bones and that a Surveyor says isn't a wreck.
Blair
1979 Trojan Tricabin with twin 255 Mercs
11' Inflatable dingy with 4 Hp merc
On the Trent canal system at Young's Point , Clear Lake, Ontario
JimK

Post by JimK »

I am not sure where you are located but in case it is close, there is a guy on Kelley's Island (Ohio on Lake Erie) who rents his tri-cabin as floating condo. You can only use it as a hotel, i.e. you can't operate it as a boat. It would give you a chance to test out the livability before you buy.
dab62

Post by dab62 »

Thanks again guys for the input. I have been reviewing the extensive forum posts. I'm very impressed by the technical information and willingness to help people out. You guys are a great group, and reinforce my decision to look at this brand! When I am able to pull this dream off, I'll be leaning heavily on your support. Especially you guys on the Chesapeake.
1987 F32
All Wrapt Up
Kent Narrows,Md.