Water heater-heat exchanger

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

7421f

Water heater-heat exchanger

Post by 7421f »

My 1984 water heater finally bit the dust. I just installed a new one with an engine heated heat exchanger built in. The original one did not and I like the idea of "free" hot water. I know where to hook up to my engine, but I am scouting out the best routing for the hoses from the engine room to the water heater which is located under the stairs and forward of the engine room bulkhead on the 11 meter Express. I got to thinking about the cons of cutting access holes: Unless I seal around the hoses somehow, bilge water can migrate as well as any gas fumes. What do you guys think is the best option?
Tim
1984 Trojan 11 Meter Express "My Vixen"
Big Blue 454's

http://photobucket.com/MyVixen
Allen Sr
Active User

Re: Water heater-heat exchanger

Post by Allen Sr »

My hoses run through the upper part of the bulkhead to my heater off the port engine. The hoses barely fit through the holes cut for it. Its about a 7/8 to 1 inch hole for the hoses to go through. I can try to get pics from the engine compartment this week end if you like,
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015