Torn between 2 Decisions - HELP!!!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

ronsamwood

Torn between 2 Decisions - HELP!!!

Post by ronsamwood »

I just inherited my grandfather's 1976 F-32 with fairly unused twin crusaders that were installed in 94 brand new. over the past decade and a half he's managed to only put approx. 100 hours on both. Sentimentally, I want to restore and makeover the old boat to resemble the finishings of a Runabout with updated amenities. I understand that this can take time and become costly. the real issue with this option is that I just don't know where and how to begin this project. On the other hand I'm considering selling her. I know that I wont get what has been put in sentimentally but it's less of a hassell. Please share your insight. I need to get off of the fence. HELP!!!
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Re: Torn between 2 Decisions - HELP!!!

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

Tough choice, but sentimental does not constitute logical. My opinion, pay for a good surveyor to see what needs to be done right away. Engine hours really mean little, as an engine that sits is worse than one that runs often. And, if you don't LOVE the boat, sell it.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

todd brinkerhoff wrote:Tough choice, but sentimental does not constitute logical. My opinion, pay for a good surveyor to see what needs to be done right away. Engine hours really mean little, as an engine that sits is worse than one that runs often. And, if you don't LOVE the boat, sell it.
I agree

ronsamwood wrote: Sentimentally, I want to restore and makeover the old boat to resemble the finishings of a Runabout with updated amenities. !
Can you explain finishing's of a Runabout ? Major redesign ? I maybe miss understanding what you are saying
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
ronsamwood

Post by ronsamwood »

Thanks for both of your opinions. They are very helpful. As far as "Runabout boats" are concerned, I like the way they are finished with wood. I think it has a very nice look. I've seen a few Trojans with this wood finish influence.
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

I am not sure n F-32 is a great candidate for a runabout project.... At least structurally. But you are in luck as the interior wood is mostly Philippine Mahogany. For the outside, you could go with a full graphic poly wrap.
oldboat1
Sporadic User

Post by oldboat1 »

impression from here? sounds like grandpa's boat isn't quite what you want, except that it was grandpa's. Arguably, if you do a complete rebuild and radical reconstruction, it ain't grandpa's boat anymore. Think I would be inclined to sell it.
Motors should run. People -- not so much.

1980 F26, Mercruiser 305
1979 14' Starcraft, 1957 18 hp Evinrude and '57 3hp Evinrude kicker