Air conditioner for an F32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Macdiver

Air conditioner for an F32

Post by Macdiver »

Has anyone put in an air conditioner in a F32, mine is a 1983 flybridge model? Macdiver
Gene
1983 F-32
MACDIVER
Stonington, CT & Westerly, RI
AndyF32
Sporadic User

Re: Air conditioner for an F32

Post by AndyF32 »

I have installed a mermaid system in my 1985 and my 1990 has a cruiseairr system installed.

Make sure you get one that the controls allow a deicing mode.

Also my boat is in mystic if you would like to take a look.
Bubbabuda
Sporadic User

Post by Bubbabuda »

I installed a 18500btu with 2k electric heat 2 years ago. Ocean Breeze out of Florida. Great people, great service, great product. I upgraded to electronic controller and teak grills. Easy install, works great!!!!
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

I would like to however I can't say I needed it much this year.
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

I too am in Rhode Island and am very interested in this, im on my third F32 and I may keep this one for more than a year or two this time lol, and ideas, sizes etc would be appreciated, i plan to travel through your area in August on my way to Block Island, hope I wont need it there lol
lottanerv

Post by lottanerv »

I installed two Webasto AC units in my 81 F32. One is a 12k BTU unit in storage area under the seat in the dinette. I ran a flexible duct to the existing vent in the salon. I ran the duct hose through the bulkhead up and under the salon floor on the stbd side and cut a hole in the salon floor on the inside of the sliding storage doors on the stbd side and up to the existing vent.

The second 9K BTU is installed in the V berth under the cushion on the stbd. side. I also ran flexible duct hose thru the adjacent closet and up to a new vent I installed just above the shelf area which is above the fwd seat in the dinette. I also installed a (duct hose) splitter from this unit and ran a flexible duct to a new vent put in the V berth. This way I have a duct in the galley and the vberth from the 9k BTU.

I am in S. Florida where it gets hot so I installed two units to achieve adequate cooling. With this system I now having cooling/vents in the Vberth, galley and salon. From experience I found the old central systems could not provide adequate cooling particularly in the galley where there was no vent. The Webasto units come with remote controls and are cheaper than most equivalent units. The system works great since I installed them 6 mos. ago.

I suggest you go for self contained units and abandon the centralized system (under the cockpit) that came from the factory on the F32. Such units have everything in one unit; the blower, condener and compressor. Know that the F32 needs a two units and lots of BTU to keep it cool. Good luck!
Boaitng is escape
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

wow two units! Im only toying with the idea of one, its not really neccessary up here in the North East, if im on the hook the breeze is cold and my dock is generally shaded, it would be a luxury i would not use often if at all
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

See my post on the first page of this thread : http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... ose#p92154

A/C was already there when I bought the boat, but this at least gives an idea of how it was done and how effective it is.
lottanerv

Post by lottanerv »

I was in Rochester New York and factory ac was inadequate on summer days. Even though you are in the northeast on the hot days when you need ac you want it to work effectively. Go with your gut. I own the F 32 for 25 years. Trust me I know what it takes to have an effective AC in one.
Boaitng is escape
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

Just finished 12 days on the boat on Lake Michigan. I have factory installed Cruiseair unit and I think that without my blinds pulled and the windshield cover on, it would have had a hard time keeping up in the salon. My forward berth was cold ( has seperate zone) and the main cabin was comfortable with all the windows covered.

Temp was in the mid 80's
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
Macdiver

Post by Macdiver »

AndyF32 wrote:I have installed a mermaid system in my 1985 and my 1990 has a cruiseairr system installed.

Make sure you get one that the controls allow a deicing mode.

Also my boat is in mystic if you would like to take a look.
Hi Andy: Thanks for the reply, yes, I would like to take a look at your F32 air system. When is a good time for you. My cell # 203-417-9089. Thank you, Gene
Gene
1983 F-32
MACDIVER
Stonington, CT & Westerly, RI
Cmount
Sporadic User

Post by Cmount »

I installed a 16k Wesbaco in my 1977 f32. Under the kitchen sink and ran the duct up to the salon. Without the window covered, it had a hard time keeping up on those hot muggy August days in CT, but most of the time kept up and at a min kept out the humidity. I loved the unit...easy install, easy wiring, you will need a thru hull for it. The one I bought was both heat and ac, and that is nice. You will use the heat in the northeast more than you think in the spring and fall. Installed two units in the new boat, and you need a blanket when they are cranking now.

You also need to make arrangements for the condensation, I did not want it running in the bilge, so there was a device that goes into the water outlet hose that actually will pull the condensation out of the tray.
1987 Jersey Dawn
"The Other Woman II"
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

I installed a 16000 BTU the way captain did. I also put a condensate pump under it to keep the bilge drier. It will keep my Express 68 in 90 plus weather. I do wish I had auto defrost.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
JeffK68

Post by JeffK68 »

Glad to see good feedback on units other than Dometic. I had always assumed they were the be all and end all when it came to marine A/C. But with prices like these, it's not easy

Leaning towards Webasto... I had for some reason assumed they were cheaply built, but in my research, the majority of owners are very happy. Flagship is another one I've seen spoken well about, but not sure how they are on pricing... enlightening search. :idea:
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Flagship is interesting because they use house type controls and thermostats that are available at any home improvement store. They also have resistive heat rather than reverse cycle. It draws more power but still works when the water gets below 40 degrees F, even if the boat is out of the water. Ocean Breeze has either reverse cycle or resistive heat options.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's