Need help on how to fix engine mounts

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

FReyes

Need help on how to fix engine mounts

Post by FReyes »

After searching all summer for a boat I finally found one that seemed to be perfect. I'm in contract on a 1985 Trojan Intl 10 meter for $11,500. Spent the weekend on the boat going over all the systems. My only concern are the bolts on the engine mounts. I found a few of them were not grabbing to the stringer. I'm able to pull a couple of them midway out with my hand. I'm figuring the stringer must be rotted in these areas. Funny thing is on some of these the bolt right next to it tightens just fine. Damage is on both sides. The engines are Crusader 350 hp with 385 hrs. If I don't accept the boat it will cost me $1200. The boat appeared to be extremely solid. During sea trial everything seemed fine. The engines showed no flexing or vibration. Any idea of the cost to fix this? Is there something I can inject into the bolt holes to repair? I'm thinking of buying a moisture meter to try to determine the extent of the damage. I need help to decide whether to let it go or repair
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (30.49 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (21.01 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
'Oh God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small'
1985 Trojan Sedan 10 Meter - Fantasy
1986 Regal Commodore 277XL
bjanakos
Moderate User

Re: Need help on how to fix engine mounts

Post by bjanakos »

It's difficult to tell without more data... A moisture meter, a knock test, and a qualified surveyor should be the next step (or the first).

It could be that the stringers are totally gone or that the bolt was simply over torqued and stripped. In either scenario, loose motor mounts are not good and not cheap to fix.
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

bjanakos wrote:It's difficult to tell without more data... A moisture meter, a knock test, and a qualified surveyor should be the next step (or the first).

It could be that the stringers are totally gone or that the bolt was simply over torqued and stripped. In either scenario, loose motor mounts are not good and not cheap to fix.
X2

Remember, unlike a vehicle, the entire weight and force runs through the motor mounts.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
FReyes

Post by FReyes »

If there is no rot, I am thinking of pouring some epoxy with milled fibers and glueing in a stud bolt and use a nut on top. Anyone ever tried that?
FReyes

Post by FReyes »

I found out that these Trojans have all glass stringers except where the engine is. There they have a wood core the lag mounts into. What I'm doing depending on the amount of rot is either inject reinforced epoxy or over drill the whole and insert a wood dowel. Feel comfortable closing now. Thanks everyone for the assistance.