The Norwegian Trojan....again. (update)

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

pk
Moderate User

Re: The Norwegian Trojan....again. (update)

Post by pk »

Hi again Folks! Today I´ve got another problem. Engine temp.... Temp on gauge rise slow after start, and ending peaking the wall (250 deg.). Engine is barely hot, I can still lay my hands on it with no hurt! Same on both engines. I am not sure if the sender is broken, or maybe the instrument is gone. I have also a problem with the fuel gauge. The fuel tank have a good 120 Gal of diesel in, but reading is zero. When I turn on ignition the needle in instrument goes from lowest position to a couple of human hairstraw above empty..... Any suggestions out there?
International 10 Meter Express named "Jolla Mi", powered by nothing.....
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

Maybe a bad ground on your gauges? I have seen bad grounds cause a multitude of problems.............
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

Hi! Both temp senders are changed today. And "Voila!!" Temp reading is nice. Both engines reach a little below 200 degr. after 15 minutes run on 2600 RPM. That´s OK for me. Tomorrow I have to "dig" a hole in the aft deck, just overhead the fuel tank sender. I think there is a misfit in the ohm / resistance between the instrument and the sender. I will have to think something out there.... And on Friday my Trojan will be seen on National Television (nrk.no). I will try to put some of it here on the forum. Anyway; the boat runs a couple hours every day, out fishing or just for joy. And everywhere the people are turning their heads.....
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

YOU GO PK !! !! !! !! !! !!

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

Hello Folks! Today it´s Sunday. Sunday, a day without sun, at least here in my town. But that don´t matter at all. We have had some spectacular sunny days the last week, with temp on high 70F. And best of all; every day have been spent out in the fjord. In The Norwegian Trojan.

As maybe some of you know; Norway is a long and narrow country, filled with lot of long and deep fjords, snowy mountains and green forests. And from year to another the Norwegian Broadcast Company (NRK) makes a summer program on television called "Sommerbaten", or The Summer Ship. It trawels from the Russian border high up in the Barents Sea, downwards around the southern point of Norway, the Lindesnes, and then north east towards Capitol Oslo. Totally a journey of eight weeks, with a new harbor every evening. Every day the have a direct program, starting in the morning, showing the coast of Norway minute by minute. Showing all fjords, small communities, small villages, and the people living around this country. The National Geographic Company (You also have it in USA) have rated this program on the top ten of interesting programs. Yes, it is a bit nationalistic, but I think it will connect the Norwegian people, and make us feel like a nation. As you maybe know; Norway have a population of only 5 mill. people. And last Friday afternoon this boat came to Moss. And it went again yesterday (Saturday) right around noon time. Here is the URL address for the session yesterday, starting at 11 o´Clock local time. At the time of 39:51 you can see the Norwegian Trojan just right of the woman's face. But only for five or six seconds. But still five or six seconds on National TV....with a Trojan! 8)

https://tv.nrk.no/serie/sommeraapent/EN ... 15-08-2015

If you folks want to see more of our beautiful country, You are welcome to try https://tv.nrk.no/serie/sommeraapent/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Thank you for sharing
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Congratulations! Being on TV is always exciting. The waters of Norway look beautiful. It must be a great place to boat.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

Norway have the second longest coastline in the world, by 100 915 km or 62706 miles. Canada have the longest line.. Norway is surrounded by the Barent Sea, the Norwegian Sea, North sea, and Skagerrak. We have some of the harshest coast lines in the world, with strong winds and demanding heavy swells. But we also have some of the finest fjords, nicest waters and most famous seas in the summertime, with midnight sun and warm weather. Everyone should try boating here, at least for a week or two. Fishing in the bright sun in middle of the night, look at the whales swimming around flipping their tails.... If there is any interest we can arrange a two week fishing holiday up in the northern parts of Norway, with guarantee for catching halibut, cod, redfish and pollock. We have, in my family, 12 smaller cottages, all with view out for the Norwegian Sea and the midnight sun, use of small fishing boats with outboards, and fishing rigs. By the way; the biggest halibut taken on rod here in the waters is 158 kilos. The fisherman struggled for a mere two hours to land the fish. What a game! So if you want go fishing..... But this is a bit off topic...

I went out fishing last week end. With one of my grand sons and my wife. In two hours we caught 41 mackerels and one bigger cod. It was a great fun. And I also discovered some smaller issues with the Trojan. The seal on port prop axel is dripping a lot. More than 2 gal./ hour. It does not matter if the propeller is working or not. The seal on starboard axle is only dripping when in use. Anyone out here with any suggestions?

I am also missing one of the "locks" or handle bars for the deck hatches. Anyone who knows where I can get a new one?
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

A nice cod.....
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

Halibut.... 158 kilos.
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

A redfish. Living in the deep waters up north. At 500 - 700 feet deep water. Time of the night was 01:10.
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Nice fish! That halibut is huge.

Regarding the port shaft, you can try loosening the lock nut, tightening the packing nut, and then tightening the lock nut again. This may slow down the dripping, but probably not. If this does not slow down the dripping you will need to repack the packing nut. I use Gore GFO packing ( http://gfopacking.com/ ). When properly adjusted, the stuffing box will drip when the shaft is spinning but will not drip when not in use. A good website to see how to repack a stuffing box is http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/stuffing_box&page=1 . Good luck!
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

OK "Doggy"! I will try. Btw; is it possible to replace the packing stuff with boat in water?
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

pk wrote:OK "Doggy"! I will try. Btw; is it possible to replace the packing stuff with boat in water?
People have replaced the packing while the boat is in the water. I would not recommend it though if this is your first time doing it. If you need to replace the packing with the boat in the water, I would recommend finding someone who has done it before. When I replaced mine, the boat was out of the water so I could take my time and think about what I was doing.
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

OK! I will follow your advice Dog. Today I have ordered a liftup from the wet. Will do it tomorrow. I will tell you the result!