The Norwegian Trojan....again. (update)

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

pk
Moderate User

The Norwegian Trojan....again. (update)

Post by pk »

Hi Folks! Here is a update from this side of the Swamp. My 10M Express has left the hard and dry for the nice and salty wet..... I launched her last Friday afternoon. She is not finished yet, but in "floatable" shape. Both engines are "purring", a new instrument panel is fitted, all new bilge pumps are in place, same as a new vacuum holding tank, new pressure water pump, and some new furniture. I had her out for a small trip yesterday, just to see her numbers in speed and RPMs. As you already know I have put in two Mercruiser Navistar 7.3 turbo diesels, both deliver 300 Hp @ 3000RPM. Props are Nibral 18 x 17, cupped. Bottom of boat is sleek as a newborn child's bum.... :wink: At 800 RPM she does 5 knots. At 1500 speed is 12-13 knots, and 2600 RPM makes her 27 knots. I will try to go the rest up to 3400 RPM, but the weather at the test time was no good, splashing and blowing. But she handles fine in the sea, steady and direct. Even if the diesels are a bit heavier than the 454s. The boat have no AC aboard, nor the genset. The fuel tank was half full, water tank and holding both empty. I am satisfied. But I still have a lot of work to do. Work like wiring for lanterns, polishing all outside, put in new sender for fuel tank, change both dynamos for two bigger (120 Amp), put in new fridges, put on new carpets in and out, and repair the teak woods. AND...if wife say yes, and my wallet also say yes, I will buy two windlasses with chain... The anchor is too heavy for lifting with arms and elbow grease.
International 10 Meter Express named "Jolla Mi", powered by nothing.....
pk
Moderate User

Re: The Norwegian Trojan....again. (update)

Post by pk »

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Glad your getting her done . 2 windlasses ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

Yes, two windlasses. One in the aft, and one in the bow.
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Windlass in the stern...wow. You will no doubt own the only one. Do you have a plan of attack for that addition?

Boat looks really great and at 2600 rpm, it's much faster than my '94 370 Express (19.5 mph on the gps)
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

Most of the boats here in Norway do have two windlasses. Mostly because they are "docking / anchor up" out on the coast, maybe in small, narrow bays, with rocks and reefs. Safety first..... I want to put the aft windlass on port side, two feet in front of aft bulkhead. I will put in a hawser /halgatt in the stern right above the swim platform and a box for the chain and rope. I will also have to put in a new battery under deck, in the same corner, to feed the windlass. And it is off course remote controlled, like the one in bow.
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

Here is the reason for the windlass in stern.... Very nice places to stay for the week-end. But pretty danger if the weather turns bad!
jordan
Sporadic User

Post by jordan »

Looking great PK! Looks like beautiful boating there. Keep the pics and updates coming.

Jim
SHEGAVEIN (F-32)
Capt. Jim Jordan
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

Took her out for a trip this morning. Nice weather, calm winds, and not so cold. By 3600 RPM she passed 30 knots.... And she did this every time I tried. 30.2 Knots by the Garmin GPS. In the other end (low RPM) she went 6,3 knots @ 800 RPM. I will try to fix the diesel pumps idle. 800 is way too high, should be around 500 - 550 RPM.

pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

My home town Moss, about 45 miles south of Capitol city Oslo. Nice place in the summer time, harsh at the winter.
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

jealous of those numbers! we typically throw a stern anchor when were anchored for the day. dont think id be brave enough to anchor that close to those rocks!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

pk wrote:Took her out for a trip this morning. Nice weather, calm winds, and not so cold. By 3600 RPM she passed 30 knots.... And she did this every time I tried. 30.2 Knots by the Garmin GPS. In the other end (low RPM) she went 6,3 knots @ 800 RPM. I will try to fix the diesel pumps idle. 800 is way too high, should be around 500 - 550 RPM.

======================================================================================================

Congrats on your diesels and those numbers.

GLAD YOU ARE OUT THERE ENJOYING HER ! ! ! !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

Hi! I have fixed the idle speed today. Now both engines runs @ 500 rpm. But there is a terrible noise coming from the gearboxes. A metallic noise like a very loose tin sheet rattling around. I have checked the oil level om the boxes, that's OK. I have checked for loose elements on the engine and exhaust, turbos, gear- and throttle cables. It seems the noise are coming from something inside the boxes. Maybe I have used wrong lube oil? Dexron II. Any suggestions?
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

what transmissions do you have? I just had a similar issue with my velvet drive transmissions. I had my engine idle set at 500 and my trans sounded like it had a bunch of loose parts grinding around inside it, heres a link to a video
https://youtu.be/xlE-H8NQnhk
I found out that 500 was too low. I raised the rpms 700 and the sound almost completely disappeared.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

PK looks like you have hurth or ZF gears , do you know what the gear number is ? 500 rpm is low for a diesel . I get a rattle if I idle mine too slow .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D