Looking for an upgrade...

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Looking for an upgrade...

Post by zedtwentyate »

Team Trojan -

As some of you know, I purchased my first boat last year. The Rosalee was a 1985 F-27 that needed a ton of work. I think I may have hit a plateu with this girl and it may be time to move on. I just finished a week on the boat with the wife. We took her up the canal to Lake Ontario (5 hour tour) and then along the coast to Sodus Bay. She handled like a dream. She took 6+ footers graciously. I even managed to solve my power issue with some tweaking of the quadrajet!

Now, it's time for something bigger. I love the style of Trojan boats. I've fallen in love and there's no turning back. The wife would be happy with a Bayliner, as long is it were larger and she could easily shave her legs in the shower! Too much info? Sorry.

10 meter seems to be where I am headed, but they seem to be hard to come by.

I came across a 10 meter that can be had for 10k but may need a total overhaul. It's been on the hard for 6 years and prior to that had spent time in Acapulco, getting beaten by the sun. One motor is new and one is "tired". That's what the marina tells me anyway.

Any thoughts? Is it worth the time, agony and expense? I know you'd have to see it to really know...

There's another one in the area that's listed at 36k, which seems outrageous.

Thoughts on price range for a good 10 meter?

The bigger-boat-itis has struck again...
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
RWS
Ultimate User

Re: Looking for an upgrade...

Post by RWS »

Perhaps this info will be of some help

http://trojanboat.com/

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

I hope to welcome you to the world of Trojan Internationals. There are several options. I would take a look at http://www.trojanboat.com. The website is still expanding. A 10k 10 meter may be more work than its worth. There are a ton of fresh water internationals in the great lakes in need of good homes. The 10 meter is one of the greatest used boats around. Are you looking for an express or convertible? How much is your budget?
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Thanks for the replies. I know that project 10 meter is probably not worth my time, but I just needed someone else to say it.

Does anyone have through a on the space on a 10 meter mid cabin vs the 10 meter without the aft? I've been on both but am not really sure what one is more spacious. I'd love to hear some thoughts on pros and cons of each.
Kegan

todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

zedtwentyate wrote:Thanks for the replies. I know that project 10 meter is probably not worth my time, but I just needed someone else to say it.

Does anyone have through a on the space on a 10 meter mid cabin vs the 10 meter without the aft? I've been on both but am not really sure what one is more spacious. I'd love to hear some thoughts on pros and cons of each.
The mid cabin model was one of the most popular, coming out in 1985. There are a bunch of mid cabin owners on this forum that hopefully will advise you on interior space.

This boat is up near me...

http://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/5139737241.html
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Thanks Todd. I'm actually in Syracuse so I'm just around. The corner from you. I saw that boat and it looks great. I may reach out to them to check it out. I don't need a fishing boat but I certainly would take one rigged up that way. The wife might now be happy, but what the heck.
Kegan

yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

my wife and I were also ruined early on in our boating career. After purchasing our 1st boat, a 1977 f28 trojan with a 12'3" beam, everything else seemed small in comparison.
It all depends on what your looking for. my wife fell in love with the 10 meter mid cabin because of the additional sleeping space for the kids. I actually wanted an 11 meter but she loved the layout of the 10 meter.
after completing a complete renovation of our mid cabin I can offer you a few tips and opinions on both 10 meter models.
-check out the stringers thoroughly on the mid cabin for rot.
-the 10 meter has all fiberglass stringers and a fiberglass headliner which is easier to maintain
-dont be too worried about oxidized fiberglass. i was amazed at how thick it was while sanding and prepping for paint. with some elbow grease you should be able to make even the ugliest fiberglass shine.
-the lower cockpit height of the 10 meter is closer to the water for fishing.
-the aft cabin adds quite a bit of extra space for both entertaining and sleeping.
-both have a ton of deck space.

i would suggest looking at both boats to decide which features fit boating style the best.
if you have any other questions about the mid-cabin feel free to ask me.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
gdcardoza

Post by gdcardoza »

I'd consider selling my 10 Meter that doesn't need anything..

OR I do have a 9 Meter Internation I'd like to sell as well!
Graham D. Cardoza
President
Overboard Marine Services Ltd