chrysler replacement alternator??

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Reel Easy
Sporadic User

chrysler replacement alternator??

Post by Reel Easy »

Hey guys. I've been having problems with my old chrysler voltage regulators. They are getting harder to get. So I would like to convert to GM single wire. Does anyone have part numbers and a good source? Do I just have to shim it a little to mount it? I've read through alot of the old posts but haven't got the answers I am looking for. Thanks and all input is welcome.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Re: chrysler replacement alternator??

Post by vabeach1234 »

I believe beaconmarine has alternators for Chryslers.

I purchased mine from Ebay a couple of years ago and haven't had a problem. Mine was the single wire type though.
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

Thanks Ken. So with your single wire is the voltage regulator built in? I am 2hrs from my boat. I am not even sure what is on there. I do know my voltage has always been iratic. I want to upgrade.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

I guess it's built in. I really never figured out how it works. When I start the motor, I have to rev it up to above 1000 rpms for the alternator to start generating. I guess it freewheels at low rpms so it's easy to start. Maybe someone else can chime in who knows how these things work or if the 3 wire and single wire alternators are interchangeable. I would think that they are electrically with some wiring. I would imagine the main issue would be the replacement would have to match your current brackets so the pulleys and belts line up.
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

vabeach1234 wrote:I guess it's built in. I really never figured out how it works. When I start the motor, I have to rev it up to above 1000 rpms for the alternator to start generating. I guess it freewheels at low rpms so it's easy to start. Maybe someone else can chime in who knows how these things work or if the 3 wire and single wire alternators are interchangeable. I would think that they are electrically with some wiring. I would imagine the main issue would be the replacement would have to match your current brackets so the pulleys and belts line up.
Some of the true single wire alts need a quick rev to excite the field to start providing power and some have extra wiring to provide voltage to get the field going without the extra rpm.........all of those have internal regulators......regarding the mopar voltage regs, I just get mine from the local electrical shop that repairs alts and starters, motors etc....he just orders them and they are there the next day......Mike