Flat Tappet

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

fourreins
Moderate User

Flat Tappet

Post by fourreins »

Just curious how I can tell if my 454 Crusaders have Flat Tappet cams? The motors are original and are in my 1989 International......
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Flat Tappet

Post by prowlersfish »

You have Flat Tappets

" Although introduced as the Vortec 7400 in 1996, it was basically a 454 Big-Block with a hydraulic roller cam " Not sure when it started in marine use but it had to be 1996 or later

Going out on a limb here , are you worried about oil and zinc ? I recommend Shell Rotella 15w-40 oil
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
fourreins
Moderate User

Post by fourreins »

LOL.... Yes I was thinking about the zinc/oil. The original engine manual says to use straight 30. I have been running Pennzoil 30w.... I also thought about adding the zinc additive to that. What are your thought on zinc additives?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Dam I'm good :mrgreen: . It won't hurt anything ( don't over do it) Is it needed ? The depends on the oil . Diesel rated oils have more zinc If the 30W you using is 30W HD (heavy duty ) it is diesel rated and will have more zinc . With Rotella 15w-40 it has more zinc then Rotella 30W . And that has more then their reg 30W . How much is needed ?? depends who you talk to . IMO used a Diesel rated oil , that's also gas rated . IF you feel better with some zinc go ahead with it . Just don't nuts with it
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

I think its hard to find a definitive answer to the question of how much ZDDP, or ZDTP for synthetics, are required for our older engines. Some say that its only really important during the intitial break-in, but others say it's necessary in older engines on a continuous basis. The problem the older boat community is facing is stricter and stricter EPA standards, for both oil and fuel. Most guys have used the commercial grade diesel oil because of the higher ZDDP. The problem now is that diesel oil manufactures have now gone from the CI-4 to the CJ-4 rating, which has significantly less ZDDP. Lighter and "cleaner" oils are being pushed, which is fine for the newer motors.

I used both Delo or Rotella exclusively, but have gone to Amsoil Z-Rod 20-50. No idea if its any better, but it does come with anti-rusting additives for my winter lay-up.

Lots of opinions on oils out there though...
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index