Interior Ideas for 1976 F32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Lizz

Re: Interior Ideas for 1976 F32

Post by Lizz »

That's great to know about the varnish. I put a million or so coats on the ladder steps and I can't imagine starting over.
Proud Owner of a 1976 Hot Mess of a F32 Trojan
Refit started Sept 2015. Finish Date: TBD...
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

K4282 wrote:and for any walking surface just add polymerer non skid before applying, work great, the directions suggest sprinkling over the wet cetol but it comes out uneven, much better to mix in to the last coat you apply
UGGG... why use Gloss then mess it up with non-skid? If you want non-skid, don't use Gloss. Use a product meant for use under foot.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Lizz wrote:captainmaniac, the wood finishes gallery is really helpful. Great reference. I'm really going to show my inexperience here, but what is the wood that extends off the front of the bow do? It looks like it's holding an anchor, but since not all boats have one, I'm guessing there's more to it. Maybe having guests walk the plank? Recreating a scene from Titanic?
Bow pulpit, main objective is to let you mount an anchor that can easily be lowered or raised without hitting the hull, or having to heave it over the side yourself. If you have a windlass, pretty much a requirement on these boats. There are several different versions / variations of pulpit out there. Also provides a bit of an extension for crew on the forward deck to reach or handle forward dock lines, if needed.

Watch out though : some marinas may decide to add the length of your pulpit to the length of your boat for docking or winter storage costs.... buggers!
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

That makes sense, captainmaniac. Thanks for the explanation!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Got to ask , is "Hot Mess" the new name of the boat ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

hi lizz. have you given any further thought to the galley and head? i've thought of refreshing the galley counter and the forward head for a long time, but, to be honest, that's way outside of my expertise. i also want to refresh the salon window coverings and installing new carpet throughout. i know what i want, i think, then again, i'm not really good at that kind of stuff. i'm much better with the mechanical/plumbing/electrical aspect. my partner brad is much more adept at the 'interior refresh' than i am. he's got a lot of ideas for next spring. so, we shall see. one thing that perplexes him the most is the wast of space behind bulkheads and under steps. i know we could add a bunch of space, we just need to get motivated at cutting into things. there is a false floor under the starboard aft stateroom locker. under the floor is a fairly large amount of square footage for a storage area for tools and such. i have ideas, then again, i need to act on it. now, one thing you need to consider is tearing apart bulkheads and the like is everything is interconnected for structural integrity of the cabin. they all tie in together for strength. when i had an f-32 i wanted to open up the forward stateroom by removing the door, the frame and part of the bulkhead on the starboard side. when i started to remove things, there was a lot of give around the dinette area and i was uncomfortable with that. so i compromised and fabricated a partial partition. again, everything ties in together. just a thought.
aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

First, prowlersfish, I'm intrigued by your suggestion, but I hope that "hot mess" is a temporary description! Right now, she looks like a party girl after spring break. But it could stick! And arronbocknek, I still haven't learned much about how a boat works, so your warning about the impact of removing the structure between the v-berth and salon is appreciated. Do you have photos? I'd love to see what you did. For the galley, I think we'll probably end up with a bar that happens to have a stove. I'm a better drinker than cook. Lol. Although I'm dreaming of cruising the intracoastal one day, so I guess we'll need some way to cook, since pizza delivery would be problematic. I haven't really had a chance to dig in and see what's behind things. We cleaned out most all of the stuff that was left behind, but now it's full of lumber that will replace everything under and around the aft deck. I'm not complaining - it's a journey!
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

And I'm not a big fan of soft goods. Instead of curtains, we're thinking of a solid something that slides or is hinged. And we'll recover the floor with something other than carpet. Something we can wipe clean. The head is basically functional, and with so many other things to do, I'm not doing much more than collecting ideas on Pinterest.
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

And just to be sure y'all know, we'll be keeping our drinking at the dock. Bourbon on the rocks? Sure. Trojan on the rocks? Not a chance.
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

[img][IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... 101410.jpg[/img] [/img]
Lizz wrote:And just to be sure y'all know, we'll be keeping our drinking at the dock. Bourbon on the rocks? Sure. Trojan on the rocks? Not a chance.
Trojan on the hook too? :D
captainmaniac wrote:
K4282 wrote:and for any walking surface just add polymerer non skid before applying, work great, the directions suggest sprinkling over the wet cetol but it comes out uneven, much better to mix in to the last coat you apply
UGGG... why use Gloss then mess it up with non-skid? If you want non-skid, don't use Gloss. Use a product meant for use under foot.
I use the gloss as a topcoat on every piece of teak on the boat because it adds some more depth to the cetol natural and only add non skid to areas I walk, on my particular boat only the steps on the ladder, my swimplatform is composite plastic however If I had a teak one I would certainly add non skid, it should be added to the cetol itself or the clear so it doesnt doesn't really matter I could add it to the cetol and not clear at all
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

Chris is working on the aft deck today. Hopefully we'll have a deck soon! https://goo.gl/photos/xAaCyzgMWrGkeQxH6
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Lizz wrote:Chris is working on the aft deck today. Hopefully we'll have a deck soon! https://goo.gl/photos/xAaCyzgMWrGkeQxH6
And He looks happy doing it ! You seem to have a good sense of humor , It really helps working on a boat .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

prowlersfish wrote:
Lizz wrote:Chris is working on the aft deck today. Hopefully we'll have a deck soon! https://goo.gl/photos/xAaCyzgMWrGkeQxH6
And He looks happy doing it ! You seem to have a good sense of humor , It really helps working on a boat .
Yep, or a screw loose. It is fun, though. Y'all have been so supportive. Hope I can pay it forward one day!
Lizz

Post by Lizz »

aaronbocknek wrote:hi lizz. have you given any further thought to the galley and head? i've thought of refreshing the galley counter and the forward head for a long time, but, to be honest, that's way outside of my expertise. i also want to refresh the salon window coverings and installing new carpet throughout. i know what i want, i think, then again, i'm not really good at that kind of stuff. i'm much better with the mechanical/plumbing/electrical aspect. my partner brad is much more adept at the 'interior refresh' than i am. he's got a lot of ideas for next spring. so, we shall see. one thing that perplexes him the most is the wast of space behind bulkheads and under steps. i know we could add a bunch of space, we just need to get motivated at cutting into things. there is a false floor under the starboard aft stateroom locker. under the floor is a fairly large amount of square footage for a storage area for tools and such. i have ideas, then again, i need to act on it. now, one thing you need to consider is tearing apart bulkheads and the like is everything is interconnected for structural integrity of the cabin. they all tie in together for strength. when i had an f-32 i wanted to open up the forward stateroom by removing the door, the frame and part of the bulkhead on the starboard side. when i started to remove things, there was a lot of give around the dinette area and i was uncomfortable with that. so i compromised and fabricated a partial partition. again, everything ties in together. just a thought.
aaron
Aaron, does Brad use Pinterest? If so, is he using it to collect interior ideas? I'd love to see what he's thinking. I have a board for the boat but there isn't a lot there. I'm @egunnufsen
K4282
Moderate User

Post by K4282 »

since your specifically asking for interior photos here is a couple more of the tiki bar boat, she was a sportfish model, never had a door to the stateroom that I can tell, the structure is strong. Ive included a before and after from when I had the boat, I saved her from the junk pile, free boat, dont mind the carpet on the walls it was free scraps from the floor and a temporary fix to the ugly hot mess that one was