New Member - Beginning of a Restoration Journal

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Captain Chill

New Member - Beginning of a Restoration Journal

Post by Captain Chill »

Hello all! I've been in and out of lurking on this forum for the past year and now it's time to jump in and get to know everyone and tell you about my project.

A little about me. I'm a 32 year old male living in Marina Del Rey, California. I purchased my 1976 Trojan F26 in December of 2015. Coming from knowing absolutely nothing about boats, over the past year I've learned a decent amount and have really enjoyed the lifestyle.

I spend I'd say 90% of my time on the boat so I'd love to invite you all and your experience to join me on this restoration journal in an effort to create a comfortable live aboard F26.

My boat, soon to be named 'The Pacific Chill' comes out of the water on 1/22. First restoration plans are
-Remove the engine, making room to
-Take out old nonfunctioning 2nd gas tank (port side,) Take out old nonfunctioning fresh water tank (starboard.) *Currently no black water tank as the original toilet was a recirculating one with a thru hull discharge.
-Fill in old toilet waste thru hull as it was leaking, illegal to dump in my Marina anyhow and is now plugged up with splash zone.
-Paint ER/Bilge with bilgecoat (Can't decide between white or grey.)
-Boat yard is doing the fresh bottom paint. 2 layers and then another 1 around the waterline.
-Install sound reduction under cockpit teak floor to reduce underway engine noise and vibration. http://www.homedepot.com/p/4-ft-x-8-ft- ... /100663624
-Install new fresh water tank (port side,) Install new black water tank (starboard,) Install hot water heater, Install water filtration system, Instal new freshwater pump. (Need advice from you all on product names and experiences)
-Replace cracked windshield and install darkest limo tint on all windows.
-Try to buff the gel coat back on the hull.
-Fresh white paint on topside.

Future plans when boat gets back in the water
-Install new bathroom toilet, sink and shower.
-Install new countertops on kitchen, desk and bathroom counter.
-Install new smaller fridge where storage cabinets are.
-Replace old fridge with an all-in-one washer & dryer combo unit.

Looking forward to hearing from you all. I hope to gain the respect of you experienced boaters by paying my dues and learning all that I can through this forum. PS I'm a big fan of Paul's Cruise Control and have read most of his submissions and I hope to be in contention for Trojan Boater of the year this year!

Thanks all!
'The Pacific Chill' - F26 -1976
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: New Member - Beginning of a Restoration Journal

Post by prowlersfish »

Welcome to the Forum . You have some big plans It will be interesting to see all this on a F26 . Still trying to find a place to put a washer/dryer on my F36 LOL . The boss wants one but I keep telling her no room . ( If we lived aboard I would find room :mrgreen: )

Keep us posted and we are here to help .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Captain Chill

Post by Captain Chill »

prowlersfish wrote:Welcome to the Forum . You have some big plans It will be interesting to see all this on a F26 . Still trying to find a place to put a washer/dryer on my F36 LOL . The boss wants one but I keep telling her no room . ( If we lived aboard I would find room :mrgreen: )

Keep us posted and we are here to help .
Thanks for the warm welcome prowlersfish. Much appreciated.

Without getting to into detail about the washer and dryer as this install is planned for early to late March and will have it's own spotlight on this thread later on down the road, these combo units don't take up much space at all. About the same space as my fridge takes up in my F26. Here's a link to the one I'm leaning towards as I don't think the "ventless" dryers have perfected their drying technology enough so I'm thinking of going with this model that is vented out the side of the boat.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/westland- ... --10495745
Captain Chill

Post by Captain Chill »

Here's a picture of her, The Pacific Chill.

Also, a video riding some purple waves just outside the breakwater.
Last edited by Captain Chill on Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Welcome aboard, Captain C

Looking forward to watching your progress. If you're like me, it'll take twice as long and cost twice as much. :)

Always liked the lines on those F26 cruisers.

Are you more or less going to live aboard, so hence the washer/dryer scenario??

Sounds like your renovation plans are pretty solid. Was the engine okay (hour meter?) or will you be replacing/rebuilding it?

Good luck with your re-fit and looking forward to watching this chain.

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Howdy, welcome aboard.....must be nice to boat all year round,

I noticed the sound barrier you showed there,it might need to be covered by dry wall to get a fire rating, no good for a boat...should be rated for marine or at least be fire retardant in engine compartment, surveyor might catch that........there is marine sound barrier with foil covering (pricey though).....Mike
Captain Chill

Post by Captain Chill »

rickalan35 wrote:Welcome aboard, Captain C

Looking forward to watching your progress. If you're like me, it'll take twice as long and cost twice as much. :)

Always liked the lines on those F26 cruisers.

Are you more or less going to live aboard, so hence the washer/dryer scenario??

Sounds like your renovation plans are pretty solid. Was the engine okay (hour meter?) or will you be replacing/rebuilding it?

Good luck with your re-fit and looking forward to watching this chain.

Rick
Thank you for the welcome Rick, glad to have you along for the show.

More or less yes, going for a live aboard restoration. All the amenities of a small home packed inside a F26.

I'm hoping I can knock out a lot of these installation goals over the "winter" and have this baby full blast by the spring/summer season, we'll see :| .

The good thing about the washer/dryer is that it pays for itself because I get my laundry done or by coin operated machines so it's a no brainer as a purchase. Plus it's pretty cool to have aboard imo.

The (what I believe to be) original Chrysler 225 engine was rebuilt about 11 years ago by the PO. It currently has around 450 hours on it. I had a full tune-up and rebuilt carburetor done last month and it seems locked in and running great.
Captain Chill

Post by Captain Chill »

mikeandanne wrote:Howdy, welcome aboard.....must be nice to boat all year round,

I noticed the sound barrier you showed there,it might need to be covered by dry wall to get a fire rating, no good for a boat...should be rated for marine or at least be fire retardant in engine compartment, surveyor might catch that........there is marine sound barrier with foil covering (pricey though).....Mike
Hi Mike, thanks for the welcome to the forum.

Good looking out on the fire safety issue. I forgot to mention that I was going to do a layer of that and then a layer of this on top of it. http://www.homedepot.com/p/United-Plast ... /203754290 ...Says it passes fire and smoke tests. Plus it's also another acoustic insulator so it should be pretty quiet while underway with both of these layers underneath the teak.
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Hey Captain, welcome to the best dang forum on the inter webs :)
I'm pretty new here myself, and have just recently posted a "log" of my rebuild on my Tri Fly. Project Tri Fly http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... f=1&t=9394
I am also planning to partially (summer) live aboard with my wife, and am wanting all the comforts of home including the (all in one washer dryer). They are about $2400 in my area (Ontario Canada)
I also have about 10' more boat to work with :)
You will for sure finds lots of wisdom on these pages.

By the way, everyone here loves pictures, and as they say on the internet "it didn't happen unless there are pictures"

Good luck with the project
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

Welcome aboard. Also planning a May to November live aboard on our F32. Not a lot of renos planed just some fiberglass maintenance.

Bring on the picture.
F32 Fly 1975
Captain Chill

Post by Captain Chill »

Barrie wrote:Hey Captain, welcome to the best dang forum on the inter webs :)
I'm pretty new here myself, and have just recently posted a "log" of my rebuild on my Tri Fly. Project Tri Fly http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... f=1&t=9394
I am also planning to partially (summer) live aboard with my wife, and am wanting all the comforts of home including the (all in one washer dryer). They are about $2400 in my area (Ontario Canada)
I also have about 10' more boat to work with :)
You will for sure finds lots of wisdom on these pages.

By the way, everyone here loves pictures, and as they say on the internet "it didn't happen unless there are pictures"

Good luck with the project
Wow, Barrie, what a project! Much respect. Can't wait to follow along and see it all done up. Thanks for the welcome.

I was actually born in Hamilton and my parents have a place in Stoney Creek that we try to visit yearly. Small world! I'll be sure to have good amounts of photos and videos coming throughout the restoration process. Nice to have you along.
Captain Chill

Post by Captain Chill »

Away wrote:Welcome aboard. Also planning a May to November live aboard on our F32. Not a lot of renos planed just some fiberglass maintenance.

Bring on the picture.
Thanks for the welcome Away. Looking forward to learning more about fiberglass maintenance so I'll see you there. Nice to have you along for my makeover as well.
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Welcome Welcome

Sounds like you have great plans.

However some friendly advice - kill the washer idea.

I have the F30 and if you ever find yourself in six foot waves or larger, you will regret having a "washer" on board.

Doesn't your marina have laundry facilities?

That washer you cited weighs 150 pounds - boats are designed to float level. You will have to add weight to the other side to counter act the effect of the washer so now you are up to 300 pounds!

Remember the Eastland disaster?

Trojans are good boats but not designed to be hauling around all this extra weight.

Install a good ice maker, you will get more use from that than a washer!

David
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

lawyerdave71 wrote:Welcome Welcome

Sounds like you have great plans.

However some friendly advice - kill the washer idea.

I have the F30 and if you ever find yourself in six foot waves or larger, you will regret having a "washer" on board.

Doesn't your marina have laundry facilities?

That washer you cited weighs 150 pounds - boats are designed to float level. You will have to add weight to the other side to counter act the effect of the washer so now you are up to 300 pounds!

Remember the Eastland disaster?

Trojans are good boats but not designed to be hauling around all this extra weight.

Install a good ice maker, you will get more use from that than a washer!

David
LOL
I like David's idea
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Another thing to consider is that the combo washer/dryers do not dry all that well. I would be tempted to only have a washer if that is all the space I had. Line dry the clothes in the cockpit on a nice day.

When we bought our F36, we gave up two items on our high priority list -- a separate shower and a washer. Given all the usable space and other things we gained, it was well worth it, even considering that we plan to do some extended cruising on this boat.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's