Oil change

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Patriciamarie

Oil change

Post by Patriciamarie »

Can the oil in a 1977 f30 with 225hp engines, can the engine oil be replaced using a drain pan or is a suction device required.
Regards steve
The Dog House
Active User

Re: Oil change

Post by The Dog House »

I have a Chrysler 318 (225 hp) engine in my F26. There is a drain plug at the front of the oil pan. The oil can be drained by removing this drain plug.

There are a few things to be aware of if you remove the oil using the drain plug. I can only fit a 5 quart oil pan under the engine. The engine holds 7 quarts of oil. Also, I have to tip the oil pan to get it out from underneath the engine due to a cross-member that is in the way. Because of this, I drain ~ 2.5 quarts of oil and then replace the drain plug. I repeat two more times to completely drain the engine. It can be a little messy, so I put oil absorbent pads underneath the engine before I do it. Even with this complexity, I find this method easier than using a suction pump.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
Patriciamarie

Post by Patriciamarie »

Thanks dog house I've got twins although see how it goes.
Regards have a great season.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You can get a kit that replaces the drain plug with a fitting and a hose . It makes for very fast change . I can pump 14 Qts of oil out of my Engines in under 2 minutes . Much faster then trying to suck it out of the dip stick . Of course you have get the oil out before installing , but the next change will be easy . Also get good oil change pump not a cheapie ( they don't last )
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

prowlersfish wrote:You can get a kit that replaces the drain plug with a fitting and a hose . It makes for very fast change.... Also get good oil change pump not a cheapie ( they don't last )
+1
If installing the drain kit on the plug isn't appealing, I've done countless of oil changes through the dipstick with a 12 volt unit on a pail. After you warm up the engine, put the hose over your dipstick tube and it'll suck the oil out in about 2 minutes, and put it into a pail for you. The pail will hold your engine oil x 2 and both trannys. Pricey but they work great and are compact and easy to use. They also have a reversing motor which comes in handy in certain applications where simply putting the lid on a full pail of fresh oil allows you fill engines when poor access from above doesn't allow using a gallon or pint container and a funnel. Simply put the hose in the filler neck/port and pump away.

Here's an example of one. A little pricey but it's the only type I've used now for years. The manual vacuum pump units take forever IMO.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/jabsco--p ... er--372128
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
rmatt

Post by rmatt »

If you can get a pan under the engine, like a painters roller pan. You can, with a wet/dry vac, suck the oil out of the pan while it drains. Done that for years.
Bob
1986 Hatteras 36 Sedan
Cat 3208T

1978 Trojan F32
Chrysler 360
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

+1 on the oil pump. I have two of those with the reversing motor, but I often to use old-skool hand pump oil fluid evacuator. Once I get that going, I change the filter. By the time i'm done with the filter, the oil is just about emptied. I prefer to fill the oil from the top....

I do my changes after i complete a charter trip when its nice and warm. I have both engines done including set up, clean up, and dumping the oil inside of an hour.