Old Ice Box

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rick1954
Moderate User

Old Ice Box

Post by rick1954 »

I have an old (ice box) for the fridge in my 26 ft. Has anyone replaced this in there boat with an exact fit off the shelf fridge. I would assume that most of the units used in the Trojans were similar. If so could someone give me a heads up, or an idea as to what they used in that area that worked well and looked well.
Rick 1976 Trojan E-26 Express 351 FI
Info@emaltd.com
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

Norcold has one that fits great.

It's hard to see but if you look to the lower left of the picture at the link below, you'll see mine.

http://www.putfile.com/pic/5451749

Here are pictures of other peoples fridges.

http://www.putfile.com/album/180813

I don't have the model number but I can get it next time I'm down at the boat.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Norfolk, VA
1972 Trojan F26 Express Hardtop
FWC Chrysler 318
Paragon V-Drive
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Rick

Norcold model DE490 is the direct replacement for the orig Norcold that came in your F-26. West Marine lists it for $1199.99 but you can do better by Googling it. There are also some other reefers that can fit that space. You can also modify the orig space and put something else in there. But, DE490 is the model for direct OEM replacement.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
rick1954
Moderate User

Post by rick1954 »

Thanks,
I will look into that Norcold. DE490, ouch what a $ tag. Last year I used the fridge for storage, I want to have something that will work so I don’t have to keep ice in a cooler all week to keep the refreshments cold. :lol:
Info@emaltd.com
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Are we talking about a refridgerator or an old cold-plate style box?

I have a regular fridge, small size, stainless looking I bought at Lowes for about 129.00 on my 32 and it's not 120/12. I just don't see a need for a fridge that kicks to 12 volts when needed. My fridge will keep anything very cold as long as it's not constantly opened during say at least a 4 hour trip or more...
rick1954
Moderate User

Post by rick1954 »

That is more like it Thank's :D
Info@emaltd.com
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

My F-32 has a small regular refridgerator and keeps things cold over night, milk, pop, meat and the like as long as I get it cold before I put it in the fridge or make sure everything is cold before unplugging for the weekend. The best thing we do is to plan our meals around the fridge by putting in frozen foods and using the larger frozen meat packages for last and they keep the fridge cold just like a large chunk of ice. If I try to chill pop while I'm on the water it sucks the cold right out of the fridge and the cold doesn't last long.