Ten Meter Mattress?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bigrgh

Ten Meter Mattress?

Post by bigrgh »

I need to replace my front foam mattress. any input or ideas? what has anyone else done. is there anyplace that makes them to fit our shape?
Slippery When Wet
84- 10meter
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Ten Meter Mattress?

Post by prowlersfish »

There are places on line that make custom mattresses . In my area there is a place called" The Original Mattress Factory".that will make a custom Mattress . Some canvas shops also may be able to do it .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Drafter

Post by Drafter »

Going through that right now... We pitched the stock stuff about 3 minutes after we bought the boat. First round we made a template out of paper and had 4" seat foam cut to fit for not much money. We threw a queen memory foam topper on top of that. Not too bad for the first two seasons. Currently have a local RV custom mattress company in town building us a "real" memory foam mattress with cover and all to 7" thick. They're doing it for $750. We use our boat as a floating lake house and sleep on it about every weekend April through October. I'm excited to see how this turns out. One thing I did was to re-create my template as absolutely large (wide) as possible. The mattress will conform to the hull sides in the v and taper back to the base. I had to buy a king size that would be cut down. I laughed at the guy.... King size... I wish! Pick up some painters brown paper from lowes in a 3' roll, tape it together, and run a sharpy around the platform joint. For some reason they designed that platform to slide over the top of the other. I also made a 3/4 base to sit on the front portion so everything was nice and level.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I have seen both of these companies at the Toronto Boat Show

http://boatbeds.com/
http://boatmattress.com/
CaptG

Post by CaptG »

Wife and I tried a mattress at Chicago boat show a few weeks back and it was nice so we ordered one. Their factory is about four hours from us so we took factory mattress from our 10 meter express to them. They took measurements and built us a new one with 4 inch foam coils and a memory foam top. It was done the next morning and we brought it home. Fits great and is really comfortable Bit pricey at $1200.00 but it is really, really, comfy. No more stiff back. Name of place is
Mcwhorter bedding. They have a web site mcwhorterbedding.com And I believe they kept the measurements for our mattress. They do ship them.
Gary
Miss Vicki
10 meter international express
F32 express
S. Haven, Mi.
GunnyMas

Post by GunnyMas »

I just got a King Size 8" mattress from Wal-Mart.com $200.00 It has 4"' firm foam 2" softer foam and 2" memory foam and has a cloth cover. I cut it down to custom fit my F-28 V-birth which I gutted and rebuilt. Awesome mattress for the money.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

CaptG wrote:Wife and I tried a mattress at Chicago boat show a few weeks back and it was nice so we ordered one. Their factory is about four hours from us so we took factory mattress from our 10 meter express to them. They took measurements and built us a new one with 4 inch foam coils and a memory foam top. It was done the next morning and we brought it home. Fits great and is really comfortable Bit pricey at $1200.00 but it is really, really, comfy. No more stiff back. Name of place is
Mcwhorter bedding. They have a web site mcwhorterbedding.com And I believe they kept the measurements for our mattress. They do ship them.
=================================================================

Is the new mattress taller, and if so is there a problem with headroom and or getting in/out of the presumably taller bunk?
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
CaptG

Post by CaptG »

New mattress is about 7 inches. About double what factory mattress was. I am six foot even and no trouble getting in or out with the extra hight. When they built the mattress they took into consideration the angles on the sides that were against hull flares and kept those angles going. There is no gap between mattress and hull. It looks like a regular mattress but funny shaped with some sides angled and some straight. The foam "springs" are in a large foam pocket with two or three layers of foam on top and then a memory foam pillow top (which was an option) sewn on top. The sewn cover is a heavy material just like my regular home mattress. Nothing like the factory boat mattress.
Gary
Miss Vicki
10 meter international express
F32 express
S. Haven, Mi.
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Drafter wrote:Currently have a local RV custom mattress company in town building us a "real" memory foam mattress with cover and all to 7" thick. They're doing it for $750. We use our boat as a floating lake house and sleep on it about every weekend April through October. I'm excited to see how this turns out. l.
OK I am jealous!!!!!!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express