Canvas Projects

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

gitchisum
Moderate User

Canvas Projects

Post by gitchisum »

After recovering from the quote to replce the canvas on the boat, I decided to give it a go on my own. Ordered supplies from Sailrite and have a commerical walking foot machine. Starting with a windshield cover to see how I perform!
Measured and made templates and cut the pieces this weekend. Pics below. Going to try getting some sewing done later this week.
paterns.JPG
paterns.JPG (114.55 KiB) Viewed 5196 times
Cuts.JPG
Cuts.JPG (111.34 KiB) Viewed 5196 times
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
Barrie
Moderate User

Re: Canvas Projects

Post by Barrie »

Good luck! and remember what they say, measure twice, cut once :)
I recovered some seats on a previous boat with marine vinyl, and the toughest parts were always the corners :(
The windshield covers seem like a good project to learn from.
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Good luck hope it tuns out well . What materals are you using ? I know having it done is not cheap (just had new "glass" done myself ) Hopefully you'll save some money
Last edited by prowlersfish on Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

We have been doing our own canvas repairs for a few years. My wife has an expensive sewing machine that does not have a walking foot, but so far, it has worked well. This year, we have to sew through a vinyl window which should be a good test.

We do have a commercial sewing machine, but lent it to my sister in law, and it needs to be looked at before using it. It is WAY too big and heavy to use on a boat, but would make a great shop unit.

Good luck with your project and keep us informed, OK?
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

Hopefully it goes well. Either way I will keep posting my experience.

Prowlerfish- Using my existing 4-bow frame and wil replace with Sunbrella 8400. If I get as far as doing the full enclosure, I will use Strataglas 040 in clear.

WayWeGo - Mother in law has a Necchi that is portable and has a walking foot. I did some tests with it and I can do 8 fabric layers and 2 glass layers with good results.

The how to videos on Sailrite have been very useful so far. I certainly don't expect to produce the same results as a professional, but if it all goes as planned, it will only cost me 25% of what my estimate was. Even if I had to go buy a sewing machine, it would still save me over 50%.
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Gitchisum, my wife's good machine is a Bernina, and I am hoping it will be fine sewing through a few layers of fabric and one isinglass. She also has some old singer portables and I am going to see if one of them will work for light canvas work. If it does, we might take it on the boat when we do some extended cruising in a few years. Our commercial unit is a Singer with a large separate motor -- that machine is a tank!

Sailrite has been a great resource for us. Not only the videos, but some of the materials we have bought have been cheapest there. If I get info from somebody, I will support them as long as they are not too much more expensive than their competition. I have found Sailrite pricing to be OK, especially considering all the info they provide for free.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Sailrite has been a great resource for us
Me too. Just received an order today. My project might even show-up in a new thread.... (I crack myself up!).
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

Finished the cover with enough success that I will try to tackle another project. Also learned enough to know that the canvas pro's are worth what they charge. :)

Pic is the inside, ready to put snaps on
ws cover snip.JPG
ws cover snip.JPG (108.53 KiB) Viewed 5024 times
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
AndyF32
Sporadic User

Post by AndyF32 »

Wow looks great! Can't wait to see your work on the enclosure.
Please post pictures.