10 Meter Sedan Luxury! Vinyl Floor Project and general make over

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Drafter

10 Meter Sedan Luxury! Vinyl Floor Project and general make over

Post by Drafter »

This is a project that I took on over this past winter and thought I would post some pics. We bought this boat 2 years ago next week. It had been abandoned in a bankruptcy by the previous owner for about 5 years and taken over by his marina. We bought it from a couple of retired farmers who figured it might be fun to fix up.....(for about 2 weeks...) after the marina unloaded it on them.
Pretty much been through one end of it to the other, working on it just about every weekend. The boat had relatively new cut to fit snap in berber carpet when we bought it. My wife knew it would be an endless battle keeping that clean and opted for something else.
Our first stab was Lowes peel and stick cheap vinyl flooring cut to fit with scissors. This stuff didn't hold up at all, as we were constantly moving the furniture and throwing open engine hatches to work on something or another.
This past fall, I pulled all of that up and went with a thick "Luxury Vinyl" that glues down. I'm an architectural designer and put this stuff in new very expensive custom homes all of the time, so thought I would give it a shot in my boat. I've been very happy with how it looks and how it's held up.
It's a little tedious to cut and fit, but very simple. I think that there are only 2 or 3 pieces that are complete stock planks that did not need a trim around something. Cutting this stuff is as simple as scoring the top with a single swipe of a razor blade, and snapping it off. I used tracing paper bent around corners that I could see through and a pencil to create templates for radius wall areas.
This flooring is about $2 a square foot to buy. Think I had maybe $450 in this in material.
Attachments
As we found her..
As we found her..
a1.jpg (136.96 KiB) Viewed 7715 times
Original (to us) interior pic
Original (to us) interior pic
b1.jpg (190.54 KiB) Viewed 7715 times
c1.jpg
c1.jpg (183.08 KiB) Viewed 7715 times
Drafter

Re: 10 Meter Sedan Luxury! Vinyl Floor Project and general make over

Post by Drafter »

First stab at flooring. We lived with this cheap peel and stick stuff for a year in the upper salon, before deciding to start over.
Attachments
d1.jpg
d1.jpg (67.04 KiB) Viewed 7697 times
e1.jpg
e1.jpg (48.04 KiB) Viewed 7697 times
f1.jpg
f1.jpg (155.04 KiB) Viewed 7697 times
Last edited by Drafter on Thu May 05, 2016 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drafter

Post by Drafter »

Old carpet up. Don't think Trojan planned on anything but carpet over their sole, so a little floor leveler was in order
Attachments
img_2191.jpg
img_2191.jpg (42.8 KiB) Viewed 7697 times
g1.jpg
g1.jpg (124.24 KiB) Viewed 7697 times
h1.jpg
h1.jpg (146.44 KiB) Viewed 7697 times
Last edited by Drafter on Thu May 05, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drafter

Post by Drafter »

Originally made new hatches thinking that I would carpet the lower galley area and sized the hatches to for carpet to wrap around.
Got to make new larger hatches after deciding to vinyl the whole boat.

I brought my engine hatches home so that they could be done in the warmth and comfort of my garage. I taped the planks for each hatch together in a bundle and cut them on my miter saw, so that each would be exactly the same length and nice and uniform.

There is an uneven joint in the back of the salon in the sole. I didn't want to see this huge caulked joint in my floor, so went over it. I was having a hard time bending the thick vinyl over the joint and getting it to stick. My solution was a stick of conduit and sand bags to weight it down for the week to get it to conform to the weird bend. I now have a nice sandy beach under my slip...
Attachments
i1.jpg
i1.jpg (146.76 KiB) Viewed 7706 times
j1.jpg
j1.jpg (168.59 KiB) Viewed 7706 times
k1.jpg
k1.jpg (75.58 KiB) Viewed 7706 times
Drafter

Post by Drafter »

Upper salon is coming together with a couple of space heaters and a little football on an off season cold day.

Couple of photos of the upper salon finally finished.
Original settee with a couple of cheap bar stools and an ottoman. The re-fabric'd side panels are curtains from Bed Bath and Beyond that match curtains we installed and had cut to length and hemmed by a local tailor shop. We used a piece of 1" bow rail and stanchions mounted upside down to the ceiling for a curtain rod.
Attachments
l1.jpg
l1.jpg (156.72 KiB) Viewed 7706 times
m1.jpg
m1.jpg (110.61 KiB) Viewed 7706 times
n1.jpg
n1.jpg (106.09 KiB) Viewed 7706 times
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

That looks really good! Great job!
I like the colour of the flooring you picked.
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

That looks fantastic!

We need to remove the carpet in our boat due to my daughters' allergy problems and this looks like a better solution than what I have been thinking of. I have a few questions:

What did you trim the edges of the hatches with? I like the light color and it looks quite smooth.

Did you use a special marine glue or the same as you would glue it to sub-floor with?

How did you cut the corners? Did you use a jigsaw?

Any other tips? I am pretty sure this will be the direction we are going to take -- thanks for the idea!!!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Drafter

Post by Drafter »

Thank you! I feel like this is a good solution. We use our boat every weekend and have lots of friends come up. We wanted something relatively bullet proof that you could spill a cocktail on, a juice box or a plate of food and easily clean up. I considered a sheet style teak and holly look vinyl, but wanted to replace smaller pieces if I ever needed to, should we get a tear or scuff. I couldn't afford the real deal.
The meter boats have a fiberglass floor in the upper salon. So that my floor was not exposed on the edges and possibly peel up when lifting hatches, I held it off of the edge about a 1/2 inch. I made that mistake on the cheap peel and stick floor trying to hide the hatches.
On the smaller bilge hatches in the Galley area where the sole is plywood, I cut new 3/4" plywood hatches and covered them to the edge with a pretty tight tolerance.
The glue for this stuff is a compression type glue that you allow to sit up or become tacky like a contact cement. It goes on wet, and then becomes more like an adhesive on tape. The idea being, that a plank could be pulled back up. It takes about 3 hours to sit up in normal weather. Doing this in the middle of winter required some space heaters. This time of year, should be a breeze.
I used trace paper (sometimes called "onion skin" to trace over odd areas and radius' and then cut it out to transfer as a template to the flooring.
A fine tooth jig saw blade is definitely the way to go in these spots. Straight cuts, are an easy score and snap using a box blade and framing square.

We were chasing 30 year old "boat stank". After endless cleaning, deodorizers, and glade plug ins, we felt that we could get rid of most of it by getting rid of as much as possible that would trap odors such as old carpets, curtains, and fabrics.
That and a good thorough scrubbing of the accessible bilge areas with Kaboom tile/mold cleaner has everything sparkling and fresh again.
I've got a ton of pictures. Send me a private message with your email, and I'll send you better full resolution pics.
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Drafter wrote:We wanted something relatively bullet proof that you could spill a cocktail on

Now that is some smart thinking!!!

Boat looks awesome!!!!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
Drafter

Post by Drafter »

We did a lot of simple things to update the interior a bit for not a lot of money. We covered the velour panel on the bar with a simple sheet of bead board painted white. $20
Pulled the old ancient Raritan ice maker fridge out and replaced it with a glass front beverage cooler for $180 online.
Ditched the curtains and replaced them with "limo" tint for $300 cash to a local tinter. This made a tremendous difference in keeping the salon cooler and provides great privacy.
We ditched the screens on the side sliding door and side windows.
We covered several of the velour walls in the forward berth with white painted bead board to lighten that area up a ton.
Replaced the factory MR16 bulbs in all of the lights with LED's for about $4 a piece.
Would really like to replace the bar top and galley top with something solid surface, just not sure how to tear that apart without destroying it.
Have more pics, but am maxed out on how many I can attach in this thread by the forum.
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I posted this a long time ago but it's worth repeating. Regarding the "boat stank", there was apparently a few years in the 80's where a parasite in plywood created a permanent smell. I found this out by speaking with a few Tiara owners who had the same issue. I was able to prove this by drilling out a core sample from on of my hatches.

If you've done everything and are still chasing a never ending smell this might be the issue. My solution was a computer fan in the lowest point of my interior bilge running 24/7. I added a small vent out in the cockpit and connected it with 3" hose. The side benefit is that I have constant airflow in my bilge which is a good thing.

Nice job on the interior!

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
gardnersf
Moderate User

Post by gardnersf »

Looks great Bob. Haven't been on the site in a while. Do you still have the mid cabin? I bought a computer fan from Radio Shack as they were closing and plan on doing the same thing you did. Where did you mount the fan? I used the plank style flooring on my boat as well. It was the peel and stick tabbed style but I glued the whole thing down with floor cement. 5 years later it still looks great.
fourreins
Moderate User

Post by fourreins »

Love your idea to replace the ice maker with a beverage cooler. I have a 10.8 meter that has the same old ice maker that doesn't work. I would love to switch the ice maker for a beverage refrigerator. Is the refrigerator ac/dc? What brand is it? You have done an excellent job with your boat. Looks fantastic.
Drafter

Post by Drafter »

Thanks! I found a cheap Danby compact refrigerator online for about $180 with free shipping. There is a 110V outlet behind the old Raritan that was there stock, and don't believe that it was AC/DC. I grabbed some 1/2" plywood from Lowes, cut an opening to fit the new fridge, and wrapped it in white vinyl from a local upholstery shop. I figured for $180 that I could replace it every few years if needed, but so far it's held up great. You're not going to get a perfect 33 degree beer out of it, but it is a great place to drop pop and extra bottled waters in to clear up room in the main fridge.
We keep the important stuff iced down in the Yeti for a day out with friends...... :)