Arm rest on late 70s / early 80s F boat bridge seats

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Arm rest on late 70s / early 80s F boat bridge seats

Post by captainmaniac »

Just wondering if anyone has repaired / re-upholstered arm rests (aluminum brace/frame, wood block with padding on top, then vinyl upholstery over top).

On one of mine the wood base has gone rotten, so I need to redo it. The fun part - I have to remove the rest from the aluminum brace/frame because it was upholstered before they two pieces were bolted together, and most of the staples are buried. The more fun part - when I try to undo the bolts holding them together, they just spin...

I take it Trojan used some kind of blind fastener system, with a nut either epoxied to the wood block or maybe recessed in to it, for the bolt to align with. Since the wood is shot, when I turn the bolts, the buried nut is just turning with it. I can probably split the block apart to deal with the removal, but may need to do the same king of system to put things back together again.

Before I dig in to it, just wondering if anyone can tell me Trojan actually did?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Arm rest on late 70s / early 80s F boat bridge seats

Post by prowlersfish »

Not that this would be much help as I replaced mine . Trojan did not make them they were Pompanette .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

I have the same problem and am debating whether to rebuild or replace. If I didn't have a high quality upholstery shop owned by a boater nearby, I would definitely be replacing. His prices are very reasonable. Most likely, I will replace the whole seats as even at my low costs, by the time I replace the plywood and upholstery, it will be near the price of new seats.

Prowlersfish, which seats did you go with?
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Scorpion07

Post by Scorpion07 »

They are an extremely simple design. 1/2 ply base with 2 blind nuts, foam and covering.
Carefully remove the cover if you want to re-use, and you'll have access to the spinning nuts.
I re-worked my seats completely. Everything but the aluminum parts. I painted those. Also made wood armrests.
The seats were toast when I started. Likely the rest of your bases are too, if the armrests are.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Scorpion07 wrote:They are an extremely simple design. 1/2 ply base with 2 blind nuts, foam and covering.
Carefully remove the cover if you want to re-use, and you'll have access to the spinning nuts.
I re-worked my seats completely. Everything but the aluminum parts. I painted those. Also made wood armrests.
The seats were toast when I started. Likely the rest of your bases are too, if the armrests are.
Are the blind nuts epoxied to the ply, or sunk in, or some kind of hammer-in design like this http://www.xc-rc.com.au/images/cat_headings/201.jpg?
Scorpion07

Post by Scorpion07 »

This is how mine turned out. Pics are junk. Can't get photobucket to give me hi def.
ImageImage
Scorpion07

Post by Scorpion07 »

captainmaniac wrote:
Scorpion07 wrote:They are an extremely simple design. 1/2 ply base with 2 blind nuts, foam and covering.
Are the blind nuts epoxied to the ply, or sunk in, or some kind of hammer-in design like this http://www.xc-rc.com.au/images/cat_headings/201.jpg?

They are a pretty stout design. They're stainless and have a square-ish shape to them. Similar to a carriage bolt. You hammer them into a drilled hole. Yours don't work because the wood doesn't hold them in place any more.
You "should" be able to re-use them.
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

WayWeGo wrote:Most likely, I will replace the whole seats as even at my low costs, by the time I replace the plywood and upholstery, it will be near the price of new seats.
I spoke too soon! After looking at the price of new seats that I liked, I decided it was better to repair mine...
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Scorpion07 wrote:This is how mine turned out. Pics are junk. Can't get photobucket to give me hi def.
ImageImage

WOW I HAVE TO SAY THIS IS OVER THE TOP!!!!!!! These are AWESOME!!!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express