Work....work.... And more work!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

pk
Moderate User

Re: Work....work.... And more work!

Post by pk »

More updates are to come! And the second week in January I will take a look at a pair of Ferretti Marine engines from Italy. 425Hp@3200 Rpm. Gearbox is BW with hydraulic shift and 1.1:1 ratio. And I have ordered new props, new 5 blades from Italy. I think the Trojan will transform into a seamonster.... All this, the engines and propultion is only real if wife say yes. Normally in my house I am the guy who always have the last word....: "Yes dear".
International 10 Meter Express named "Jolla Mi", powered by nothing.....
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Holy shite!!!

I hope your wife says YES!!!!!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

pk wrote:More updates are to come! And the second week in January I will take a look at a pair of Ferretti Marine engines from Italy. 425Hp@3200 Rpm. Gearbox is BW with hydraulic shift and 1.1:1 ratio. And I have ordered new props, new 5 blades from Italy. I think the Trojan will transform into a seamonster.... All this, the engines and propultion is only real if wife say yes. Normally in my house I am the guy who always have the last word....: "Yes dear".
Very interesting , I have not heard of Ferretti Marine engines .But this is the US not Europe .
I have heard of Ferretti boats . I can't wait to see the set up and the 5 blade props :D
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Suggest you research the WEIGHT of whatever you are putting in there.

From my own personal experience with my Express, with both gas and diesels I offer the following:

The Express has the engines in the best spot - fore/aft as compared to the mid cabin which places them much further aft.

This engine room is plenty big for the Volvo and Yanmar range of 300+ horse diesels, however it is not tall enough for my first choice, the Cummins 6 cylinder.

We have to use a down angle transmission to get the correct shaft angle with the longer 6 cylinder (as opposed to the V8) engines

The factory shafts are 1.25" diameter and are VERY LONG. They are so long that the factory setup puts them through two struts each.

This setup is NOT acceptable for the kind of torque a six cylinder turbo diesel will create.

We found it less expensive to upgrade to a STANDARD 2" shaft and replace the 4 (total) struts with a pair of new new struts (one per shaft. Otherwise we would have had to modify the existing 4 shafts to accept the larger Aquamet 22 (expensive) shafts.

She is not a monster with the Yanmars, she is a sports car.

BobCT has run this boat, ask his opinion.

She now pops up on plane easily, her entire running angle is better, as her ass end is now up as it should be, more of her hull is on top of the water, taking full advantage of the Delta-Conic design, she runs smoother and drier than ever before and those trim tabs which used to be so very important with the gas engines have ZERO effect on performance. Her range has DOUBLED and we can now run with a sweet spot of 18-22 kts instead of the gas engine sweet spot of 13-15 kts.

STRONGLY SUGGEST YOU HIRE A MERINE ENGINEER TO ASSIST YOU WITH THE CALCULATIONS FOR WEIGHT, HORSEPOWER, FITMENT, GEAR, GEAR RATIO AND SHAFT ANGLE AND SHAFT SELECTION.

A lack of prudent calculations and shoehorning some random engine/gear/shaft/prop combination into this boat will likely result in an intolerable mess that you will not be happy with.

Best of luck with this project.....

Please keep us in your loop !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

pk wrote:Image

====================================

Hey PK,

While you have the aft deck removed and the engines out, do check the condition of the only wooden bulkhead on your ship:

the one between the engine room and the lazarette/fuel tank area.

While there is zero wood in the stringers, this one bulkhead IS wood, and if it has been overly wet in the past......

well......

please check it at the bottom, where it meets the liner.

RWS
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

Thanks RWS! Was down in boat this afternoon, and yes: I will replace the bulkhead. Do you think it´s possible to use aluminium instead wood? Or maybe fiberglass..... Anyway the wood was partly soaky and rotten.

There was a guy who called in today. He told me about a pair of Maserati engines. Some real Italian bastards. Made for sportscars, and remade again for boating. Both engines made for diesel, both complete with gearboxes and all bits. Price??? Yes, my wife sad NO!!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Before you get you props I make sure of what engine I was getting
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Boy oh Boy oh Boy -

If I had Maserati engines in my boat, I would be the big bleeping bleep of the dock and maybe the marina!!!!!

I think I would design see thru engine hatches so I and people could see those beauties.

That is the benefit of being in Europe. That would not be done here in the states.

As for the aluminum bulk head, I reckon most would say no - it may flex too much. Wood with fiberglass should be fine.
Captain Dave -

lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Ok I will bite = how much for the Maserati engines? You can tell us Euro price and we will convert to US
Captain Dave -

pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

He asked for 35K € each, or 60K for both, plus freight just around 1200 €. My wife think I am silly...... She said this is the "first warning", or a kind of yellow card. As you know; after two yellows there follows a red...... Game over!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

On the bulkhead , I would go with marine plywood . I would seal it and coat it with a good epoxy .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

Hi PK, I really like the model you have, actually any of the meter boats... real cool.
Now i"m going to get to see what's under all that fiberglass and wood :)
Keep the pictures coming, and good luck with the project! :lol:
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Suggestion for PK

while you have the aft deck removed, it would be relatively easy to remove it and inspect the bottom of the fuel tank for any corrosion, pitting or damage.

RWS
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

Our time here is now 17:20 GMT. It is late in the afternoon, and outside the workshop it is pitch black. And cold. Water has for long gone to ice, the fjord is nearly frozen stiff, and the snow has started to fall...... This could be the start of a novel or maybe a crime story. But no, it is the real world outside my workshop. Some call it the winter time, I call it crap-time.

Today I have lifted the fuel tank. It was nearly half filled with diesel. The bottom of the tank was "no good". Lot of pittings, lot of corrotion, or as we call it here in Norway: "aluminium cancer". We´ll see what we can do for the tank. Maybe replace it with something in glass/resin. I have also get rid of all the trough hull valves in the bottom, as well the sender for the Garmin Echomap. The swim platform is away, and so is the reinforcement corners in both sides aft. By the way; this is the only Trojan Meter class I have seen with two such stainless steel corners aft. We have also started to take down the hydraulic systems for trim flaps. We found the reservoir hanging in a rubber hose on starboard side aft, and decided to remove it. Forwards we will start the construction of a new instrument panel, but not before Christmas. We have also removed the bulkhead between the engine room and Lazarette. It was pretty rotten.....

We have a smaller discussion about to change the prop shafts, from 1.1/4" to 2.0", just to manage bigger HP. But the price is tremendous. So we decided to say no. We gonna use the 1.1/4" shafts, and we will go for engines between 170 and 300Hp. We have also been into a couple of Hamilton Water jets powered by two MAN diesels in 300 Hp area. But water jet??? Nooo....dont think so. Even one engine to drive a couple of hydraulic motors for propultion have been discussed. Also with NO as answer. We thinkthe best and easiest way is to keep a couple of in-line six diesels with proper gearboxes is the best way.
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

The tank was pitted and corroded.