Work....work.... And more work!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

pk
Moderate User

Work....work.... And more work!

Post by pk »

Hi guys! I have just hauled my 10M Express on to dry surface. This time for a complete rebuild. Earlier this summer (August) my starboard 7.3 Navistar engine quit working. Or, put it another way: It exploded...!! It left this world with a loud BANG!! It happend @ 3400 RPM / 32knots. Thank God I had the port engine intact. I limped home on that one, tied the boat at the marina, and went home. And now I have decided to make the old Lady new again. Both the engines is out of engine room, and most of the other stuff also. Like batteries, all electric cable and gizmoes, pumps and...yes, everything. Outside I will blast the hull, repair a couple of minor damages under the bow area, replace both struts and both props. Everything is going to be painted in the original color scheme from 1984, thoug my wife want it painted in metallic grey, like the Italian Riva boats. We´ll see.... Anyway I will put out some pictures from the work here in the coming weeks. Wish me luck!
International 10 Meter Express named "Jolla Mi", powered by nothing.....
Big D
Ultimate User

Re: Work....work.... And more work!

Post by Big D »

Good Luck PK. Can't wait to see the pics.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Sorry to hear that . I just did the same thing earlier this year cruising along at 2400 rpm . Is your engine repair able or is it (like mine) toast ?

Good luck
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

Yes Prowler, it was toast. It took less than 1,5 second. First there was a tiny metallic sound for 1 sec, then a bigger bang. I was a bit scared, but only from the smoke pouring out from the engine room.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

no room for error with diesels.

expensive to repair, expensive to replace.

not easily cobbled together if they are not right for the boat

susceptible to damage via OVERPROPPING

Now all that said, the RiGHT engines with the RIGHT transmissions/shafts/props in good condition will make for a sweet, trouble free ride.

I absolutely LOVE my Yanmars !

100% reliability, no risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, no risk of explosion, higher cruising speed, longer range per tank and economical as hell!

Take your time and make a wise choice in that engine room PK

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

RWS , I agree 100% while I did lose one early this year it was a fluke IMO ( over heat due to rear freeze plug loss ) I would never go back to gas .

PK are you going to repower with the same or some else ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

there is ALWAYS a CAUSE for the failure.

simply eliminate all the CAUSES and you're home free.....

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

PK , I have few questions for you if you don't mind . What was your rated rpm ? And what rpm were you able to turn at wide open ? Do you know what exactly blew ? Also what are your repower plans ?

FWIW mine first lost some power then blew and started shaking and making nose all in about 10-30 seconds ? I though I pick up a crab pot at first .But I slowed down and put it in neutral . when the nose was still there and the shake too I knew I was screwed lol . Lots of smoke when I went below .

Thanks and good luck
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

Prowler: Rated rpm was just around 36-3700 rpm. The funny thing is there as no warning or sign up front. It just went BANG! I havn´t opened the engine, just gave it away as a gift together with the port engine wich I got 5 grands for. Now the boat is resting on a trolley, waiting for next stop in the workshop. We have decided to do a total makeover, inside and out. Outside the guys will start sandblasting end of next week, and the engine room will also be done. New all cables and pipes in the room, as well all hoses and pumps. I have "a roof" or a limit for the money to be spent, not more than $20000. Offcourse without engines..... Wife just don´t know it yet.......

Speaking about engines, what about a couple of Rolls Royce Marine @630HP...?? Sorry to say, price is far outside my wallets limitations. And I guess my bank also would denied that. I think I will end up with a pair of fairly normal Volvos, or maybe Yanmars.
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

akwalker
Sporadic User

Post by akwalker »

Good luck, but I have to ask. Is that really how they crib the boat, or is that just temporary?
1981 F-26 hardtop
"Gracious Lady"
pk
Moderate User

Post by pk »

No, it´s not the proper way. It was a couple of boys from marina who done that work. But it is good enough, it´s only to bring the boat indoor to the repair hall. There it will be put on a hoist for lifting it above the floor in a way to sandblast the bottom. In other words; It is a temporarly stand.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

pk wrote:Prowler: Rated rpm was just around 36-3700 rpm. The funny thing is there as no warning or sign up front. It just went BANG! I havn´t opened the engine, just gave it away as a gift together with the port engine wich I got 5 grands for. Now the boat is resting on a trolley, waiting for next stop in the workshop. We have decided to do a total makeover, inside and out. Outside the guys will start sandblasting end of next week, and the engine room will also be done. New all cables and pipes in the room, as well all hoses and pumps. I have "a roof" or a limit for the money to be spent, not more than $20000. Offcourse without engines..... Wife just don´t know it yet.......

Speaking about engines, what about a couple of Rolls Royce Marine @630HP...?? Sorry to say, price is far outside my wallets limitations. And I guess my bank also would denied that. I think I will end up with a pair of fairly normal Volvos, or maybe Yanmars.
PK please take no ofence on this this is what I have found over the years with High Output Diesels they are not like the old natural diesels

Finding the right engine may take some work . It looks like you like going fast (me too ) This goes for HO diesels You have/had engines rated at about 3600 and you were running at 3400 , If this is your normal cruse then that's running them hard . Max cruse should be at 3200 and that's assuming you can turn your full rated rpm . Mine were rated at 2800 (propped to 2950 ) my normal cruise was 2400 . My new diesel is rated @3000 a safe cruise is 2600 . When you go looking for engines I would look for higher power then what you have now if you want to maintain your present cruising speed .

A Cummins QSB 480 would be great but I don't think they would fit . Yanmar offers some nice compact engines .Not a fan of Volvo but the support maybe very good over there so worth looking at .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Boy oh Boy

If one of those wood pallets snaps which they are prone to do, you really are going to need a haul repair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express