Diesels The perfect engines or not ?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

This what I have heard and think about marine diesels

They great on fuel
17%
They cost too much
19%
They are bullet proof
8%
Diesels while not perfect can add to the boating experience
14%
Diesels are too noisy and/or stinky to have in my boat .
1%
Once your go diesel it would be imposable or hard to go back to gas .
17%
There is a feeling with diesels that can't be explained but its great .
17%
There is a feeling with gas that's better the diesel so there !
1%
You can run todays Diesels wide open all day no problem
6%

Total votes: 72

El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Diesels The perfect engines or not ?

Post by El L Sea »

DD.jpg
DD.jpg (28.24 KiB) Viewed 6465 times
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

D-i-e-s-e-l. It's how you spell "pre-pay your gasoline bill." When I repowered, I looked at going diesel. You know, just for grin$. I would have had to use my gas boat at a rate way more than I ever have to date, and for the rest of my natural (boating) life just to break even. The only part that makes sense is in the increased range that you can get from a given volume of liquid.

Every boat with a diesel has a turbo. Turbos mean intercoolers. Intercoolers means more mechanical, ahem, "stuff" to break down or buy in the first place. More hoses, more clamps, more weight.

My gas engine I can fix myself. A diesel? Prolly not. And I can't believe no one quoted our departed friend David Pascoe's thoughts on the matter. https://yachtsurvey.com/GasDiesel.htm
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

P-Dogg wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:48 pm D-i-e-s-e-l. It's how you spell "pre-pay your gasoline bill." When I repowered, I looked at going diesel. You know, just for grin$. I would have had to use my gas boat at a rate way more than I ever have to date, and for the rest of my natural (boating) life just to break even. The only part that makes sense is in the increased range that you can get from a given volume of liquid.

Every boat with a diesel has a turbo. Turbos mean intercoolers. Intercoolers means more mechanical, ahem, "stuff" to break down or buy in the first place. More hoses, more clamps, more weight.

My gas engine I can fix myself. A diesel? Prolly not. And I can't believe no one quoted our departed friend David Pascoe's thoughts on the matter. https://yachtsurvey.com/GasDiesel.htm
Some good points and some wrong . Not all marine diesels are turbo . However most that would been used in our type boats ( planning hulls ) are . Not all turbo diesels are intercooled , but again very common . Turbos and intercoolers allow you to get more power out of a smaller lighter diesel and burn cleaner . Mr Pascoe's thoughts on diesels were his option like most of his info not facts or loosely on them . He was basicly anti-diesel yet his boat was Diesel
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

prowlersfish wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:35 am
P-Dogg wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:48 pm D-i-e-s-e-l. It's how you spell "pre-pay your gasoline bill." When I repowered, I looked at going diesel. You know, just for grin$. I would have had to use my gas boat at a rate way more than I ever have to date, and for the rest of my natural (boating) life just to break even. The only part that makes sense is in the increased range that you can get from a given volume of liquid.

Some good points and some wrong . Not all marine diesels are turbo . However most that would been used in our type boats ( planning hulls ) are . Not all turbo diesels are intercooled , but again very common . Turbos and intercoolers allow you to get more power out of a smaller lighter diesel and burn cleaner . Mr Pascoe's thoughts on diesels were his option like most of his info not facts or loosely on them . He was basicly anti-diesel yet his boat was Diesel
Yes, assumptions were made in order to avoid being pedantic.... But LOL! maybe Pascoe was anti-diesel because of his direct experience with them!

I don't hate roller furlers, but maybe that's because I never used one....
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

P-Dogg wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:51 pm

Yes, assumptions were made in order to avoid being pedantic.... But LOL! maybe Pascoe was anti-diesel because of his direct experience with them!

I don't hate roller furlers, but maybe that's because I never used one....
Pascoes quotes and my take

"That's why the old 6-71 Detroit Diesel will run darn near forever at 265 HP from 465 CID, but self-destruct in 6-800 hours at 450 HP"

My take while at 450-485 hp the 671 wont last as long as a lower hp one they will go a lot longer then that the 4 on my dock are above 1500 hours and running good .

"Myth #5: A diesel engine can have an expected life expectancy of several thousand hours."

"Patently untrue. The average life expectancy of a marine diesel engine in a pleasurecraft is somewhere around 1500 hours between major overhauls."

Again my take there are some that may need a major at that time most don't , Mine don't I believe most the diesel on my dove are above that some by 2x or 3x . that just my dock , we have had 3 other that were above 5000 in the last 3 years that come to mind .

Roller furlers ? sailors I know love them
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I will add Gas engine also will go high hours Taken care of (Same for diesels ) If fact low hours scare me , most folks worry about hours and want them low . :shock: :shock:
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Point of information

David Pascoe, (R.I.P) posted those comments over 20 years ago in 1997. They were revised in 2001.

When you are factoring in your costs, do not forget that the diesel boat will sell far faster and for far more coin than the gas boat.

10 years ago IPS and ZEUS drives were all the rage - until you hit an underwater object, or needed maintenance

Today's technology favors multiple high-tech and very efficient 4 stroke outboards

Current technology simply was not available when our boats were designed, nor in 1997.

Give me a pre-US EPA tier II mechanical turbo diesel with no electronic boards or HDPI and I'm good to go, if I'm keeping the boat for a long time.

Repowered to mechanical Yanmar LP engines in 2005, owned this boat since 2002

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

engines (1).JPG
engines (1).JPG (65.23 KiB) Viewed 6356 times
Five seasons and about 1100 hours later, not a trace of remorse.
1977 F-32 INSTANT FUN "Just Add Water"
My Forever boat - O/O 30 years and counting
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
P-Dogg
Active User

Post by P-Dogg »

Those look beautiful.

And holy _ _ _ _, 220 hrs a year in Alaska?
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

Over 200 hours per season of early April through mid September. No sense in having a boat to only sit in a harbor. :D
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
P-Dogg
Active User

Post by P-Dogg »

Men and boats rot in port.
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

My Dad used to say, "A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are made for".

He also said, " Wish in one hand and s**t in the other and see which one fills up first".

-and-

"If you're gonna starve to death, why work up an appetite?"
Yanmar 6BY3-260's