New Mount For My I Pad

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Barrie
Moderate User

Re: New Mount For My I Pad

Post by Barrie »

jhalb wrote:
enriquegh1 wrote:Photos will be great!! How do you attach the transducer to the hull? We have a F32 and the keel is on the way. Im using the Navionics charts in my
Ipad and works great.
First you test the area you want to use by you placing a weighted bag over the transducer. They provide instructions for this. When you find a place that works the best I bought a transducer adhesive from west marine and let dry for 24 hours. I have used for 2 seasons and haven't had any issues. Mine is mounted midship but will work toward the transom. I will send pictures when I go to the dock.
jhalb, great info on the I pad apps, Thanks.
Great looking helm, wish the Tri Fly's had something as cool looking.

If i'm understanding you correctly, the transducer is "glued" to the inside of the hull?? No holes are required!!
WHAT KIND OF WITCHCRAFT IS THIS!
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

Your correct. The transducer is held by the adhesive I bought at West Marine for this application. No witchcraft used this time.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Barrie wrote:If i'm understanding you correctly, the transducer is "glued" to the inside of the hull?? No holes are required!!
WHAT KIND OF WITCHCRAFT IS THIS!
There are some transducers that can be mounted on the inside of the hull, but performance can be affected by a couple of things. Proper mounting of the transducer is critical. If the hull is too thick it might affect signal strength. You need to get all the voids out of the sealant or epoxy you use to secure it as voids, bubbles, or gaps in it or between the transponder face and the hull bottom can mess up readings as well. Also if the hull has any voids or delamination it can mess you up too.

Also you want to find a flat spot to mount it (ie facing directly down, or as absolutely close to that as you can get). If it is pointing directly down, you will get a good depth measurement. If mounted in a location where you have a sharper V in the hull means you are reading off to the side on an angle, so depth will be inaccurate.

That's why with through-hull mounted setups on deep Vs you often see a shim - so the transducer can still point straight down even though the hull might have a sharp V.
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

The instructions have you test different placement of the transducer buy putting a sand bag over it and checking the reading. I had luck with my first location. The epoxy is a low noise epoxy. It also says the transducer can be mounted up to a 10 degree angle with no loss. Lots of info on their web site.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

That's what I love about this group, real world experience and advice. Thanks

LOL at No witchcraft used THIS TIME.... :shock:
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"