Hull Construction

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Hull Construction

Post by prowlersfish »

While bow thruster would be my first choice stern thrusters work extremely Well . and in this case I would go with the stern . If anything just because of looks .

With that said having both is really cool makes Parallel docking a breeze and its only money .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

prowlersfish wrote:If I was running off shore fishing all the time I would pick a Bertram 35 over the F36 . But for bay cruising and time on the hook , I feel the F36 is a better boat . Less rock and roll more room . More live able IMO , and better on fuel to boot
+1

For us, the F36 is a better fit than many boats others might prefer, for the same reasons Paul mentioned. We looked hard at trawlers in the same price range and could never get over the busier ride at anchor and limited room onboard. The lower fuel usage would have been nice, but then no ability to speed up when we want to. Bertram and Hatteras were also on the radar, but we would have given up the things above and paid double for a comparable boat. Wasn't a hard choice, though we were not specifically looking for a Trojan, only a boat that would meet our needs.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

Here's an F-30 closer to you. www.jsmarinejim.com
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

In the November/December issue of boating there is article on thrusters on page 42. But in like many articles they have IMO its not very informative .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

On my 1972 F26, I believe there's a wood core at the base of the transom, below the water line. See picture below. Kind of blurry but you can see there's an additional thickness to the transom below the chine. The hole is the exhaust for reference.

Last edited by vabeach1234 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Interesting , There very well could be wood there . I would still not consider it a cored transom . However if this the case a liltle extra care should be taken . After drilling the holes to mount the thruster seal the wood with a good epoxy . Then when mounting the thruster seal it with a sealant like 5200 ( that should be done regardless .)
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

I found a video on Youtube of a single screw inboard with a stern thruster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPZGAxm67sU

The maneuverability is impressive.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You will not regret installing a thruster . My friends with them don't how they got by without them before . One thing I like about having a twin engine boat is being able to put it anywhere even in very tight quarters . With a stern thruster you will have the same advantage , and in some cases a better advantage . Docking side to even tight areas with a stern thruster will be a piece of cake. My ideal boat would be a single engine with a thruster .

Tell Santa you need this LOL
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

you can put a single screw where you want it if you really study up and practice. :D

Suggest you read and study Chapmans Seamanship, you will learn of a thing called side thrust as well as other important things. :D
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

larryeddington wrote:you can put a single screw where you want it if you really study up and practice. :D

Suggest you read and study Chapmans Seamanship, you will learn of a thing called side thrust as well as other important things. :D

Larry yes you can and I used to do it all the time on a 40 footer and sometimes a 55' . But it can be a lot work at times . You don't have any steerage in reverse with a inboard,( unless you get up some speed and that's not a good option docking) . If you look at work boats and large charter boats that are single screw docking you will see they tend to back up fast and have very large rudders ( some have duel rudders ) and they do this every day . Also you will find more room where they dock vs some of the marinas pleasure boats us ( more boats packed in more $$) .

A thruster would make life easier and more relaxing .

And Docking a single I/O or outboard is not the same
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

I'm starting to get my ducks in a row regarding the stern thruster. The current plan is to install it in the Spring of 2018. I read that 3M 5200 will run on a vertical surface but that 3M 5200 Fast Cure will not. The fast cure gets tacky in 1 hour, so it should be enough time to do what I need to do. Does anyone have any experience using the 5200 and 5200 Fast Cure on vertical surfaces?
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26